AF: 3,8L V6 mods , | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3,8L V6 mods ,

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Gladiator, other traditional Jeeps' started by BigDan1, Apr 17, 2020.

1. BigDan1

BigDan1 Member

looking for a JK Rubicon for softer suspension then my CJ ....

it has a 3,8L that I had in one of my caravan in 96 , I was satisfied at the time , but I'm a bit aware that a 3,8L in a Jeep might not be the best engine ....

I'm aware that with the 4:10 ratios it might help !

BUt since I have modified about every engine that I had in my hands ( my 4,0L has 235 hp ) and my RV 460 ( 7,5L ) has 420 hp ,,,,
    I wonder if I could get some extra juice out of the 3,8L V6

Anyone did or knows ?
    Thanks

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There's just not much out there for the 3.8. Small things like exhaust and (dubious) cold air intakes as the factory intake is already cold air. Better gearing does help.
    Forced induction seems the only way to get much more power. Or an engine swap.

Doug D likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The main thing you'd want would be low-end torque and I don't know how you'd get it. I'd think gearing would be the best place to look. Manual transmission instead of the automatic.

link3721 likes this.
  4. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

About the only thing I would do is port matching. Send the heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds out and let a machine shop match all of the ports. This will help smooth out the airflow, and eliminate any restrictions in the airflow. Also replace that plastic ribbed hose from the air box to the throttle body, and replace it with a smooth walled tube or hose. This will also smooth out the airflow.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Always into head, intake and exhaust work for improvements of power, been porting heads for 40 years now (man, time flies). One other thing you can do, which is a bit of work, is have a cam reground, since there aren't any aftermarket that I know of, to which you want to shorten the duration to improve the bottom end torque. Aftermarket tends to do more lift and duration to increase top end power, so the thing to do is to turn the engine into a low end monster by reducing the duration of the valve opening to close earlier, thus increasing bottom end torque and bottom end power. The computer itself will control the fuel/air ratio so that isn't an issue with this change, and since revving for high rpm horsepower isn't the goal, it's what you have to do. I know Crower can do this, and sure there are many other places out there that can do it, too.

ka9yhd likes this.
  6. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

8. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

Swap it for the hemi. I would not be surprised if they have kits for it.