AF: 300 Pentastar question | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300 Pentastar question

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by eigib56, Sep 13, 2019.

1. eigib56

eigib56 Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 300 with the Pentastar V6 (which I love, by the way). My question is this: conventional wisdom says oil should be changed every 3000 miles. But at 3000 miles, the instrument panel says I have over 60% oil life remaining. I've been changing every 3000 or so, simply because that's what everyone says. I don't want to risk damaging the engine, but neither do I want to spend money on unnecessary oil changes. Anyone have any thoughts?

Doug D and wolfsblood07 like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

3k mile oil changes are unnecessary with fuel injection. 5k is even more often than necessary in most use cases.

Doug D likes this.
  3. Junkman George

Junkman George Active Member

There are two branches to this oil story, Synthetic, or Dino, oil?
    I am on 6,000 mile changes here using Shell Rotella T6 synthetic oil. Some go as high as 10,000, but I feel that is too far, some as low as 4,000, but that I feel serves no purpose.
    The important changes are the first 6, I like to change more often during this time as a new engine is wearing in, so to this end 3,000 is ok, but once you hit 25,000 you ARE throwing your money away.

4. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

3000 miles is 1950s thinking. To days engines have much better machine tolerances and better materials. Also have much better heat management. You are throwing your money away at 3k. I vote 5k for conventional and 7k for synthetic. Or check your owners manual. Their the ones that designed it, they’ll tell you wahts best for it

valiant67 likes this.
  5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Engine technology along with combustion technology has progressed quite significantly since the days of carburetion and no emission controls. As a result less contaminants / combustion byproducts make their way into the oil. So oil life is extended between oil changes.

If you want absolute certainty about longer oil change intervals, you can send a sample of oil from an extended drain period and send it to a laboratory that specializes in oil analysis. Contaminant levels and remaining oil life can be determined from the sample. Cost usually runs in the $35.00 - $50.00 range.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

DC-93 and Dave Z like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Kinda odd really - the Dart supposedly has the same indicator but I've never had it turn the light on. At the one-year mark I have to remember to change it. The 300C lights up every 10,000 miles.

Nobody who's been watching the changes to oil qualiuty would seriously recommend 3,000 miles other than the dealer.

valiant67 likes this.
  8. eigib56

eigib56 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you! Very helpful. And you're correct, Dave. The ones recommending 3000 mile intervals are the ones selling oil changes!

DC-93 likes this.
  9. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Active Member

In addition to the improvements in engine manufacturing, there have been huge improvements in the quality of oils. I follow the 5k for dino oil and 7k for synthetic regimen. FYI, I also have a 2016 300 with the Pentastar V6.

Chase300 and Doug D like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

A few tests and studies showed 10,000 miles is a _conservative_ regimen for synthetic. You can just let the car tell you when to change the oil, make sure it's more than once a year (e.g. 11 months) unless the car tells you to do it first.

That goop we used to use in the 1970s and earlier wouldn't be recognized as oil today. Combine that with PCV and better sealing, and you can see why we don't need 3,000-mile changes. (And haven't for many years; my 1991 Sundance 2.2's recommended interval was six months, 7,500 miles on regular oil.)

11. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

5K changes in the 13 Caravan with conventional Pennzoil and MoPar filters.
    Did the first change at 5K in the 18 Compass, synthetic and MoPar filter, of course! :cool:

One thing that determines the change interval is filter quality.
    Does the internal oil change interval sensor know if you have the recommended MoPar filter, to which it was calibrated,
    of a lesser quality one??
    Would it turn on faster if a cheapo filter lets more contaminants remain in the oil?
    I'd think YES. And that negates any saving in using a cheaper filter.

12. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

This question is not settled and may never be. There are too many variables. I'm one who believes that it's better to err on the side of caution, and get the oil changed at least twice a year or no more than 5000 to 6000 miles. After decades of research, I have decided not to put my faith in the engine oil life monitor that cars have come with for the last 20 years or more. Those could be a big scam designed to shorten the lifespan of engines so people have to buy more cars. People were trained well and then they decided to let the car do our thinking for us. I've read too many stories about engines going bad due to too much time between oil changes. Oil changes are not that expensive anyway.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As already posted today's engine's with EFI greatly reduced the amount of contaminants so 3,000 mile oil changes are unnecessary. And today's oils are much better than before.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with 263K miles and have used conventional oil with servicing every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. No engine problems to date. Truck does not have an oil change reminder.

Wife has a '14 Equinox with the oil change reminder which I use as a guide as I also keep track of when it was last serviced. With hers I still change every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. So far the reminder has come on around 6,000 miles. Previously she had a '10 Journey that the oil change reminder came on at either 2,500 or 5,500 miles depending on how it was driven (city or highway). No engine problems after 157K miles. She totaled it on black ice last December.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

FWIW, I know people who really tested the limits, leaving oil in their daily drivers for over a year, and then sending the oil out to the lab to see if there was any sign of engine wear. The lab replied that the oil was still good, and there was no unexpected engine wear.

Chrysler Engineering also tested the limits and decided on one year for the oil changes, or when your computer tells you to change it. Same at General Motors. In our 300, that means, in practical terms, roughly every 10 months or 10,000 miles. The Dart never asks for an oil change so I have to remember to do it.

Friends with classic cars report they usually do it every other year for parade duty and such.

15. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A rule of thumb I used was to change it when I couldn't see the metal surface of the dipstick any more or the oil had a strong smell of hydrocarbons.
    Cold weather, hilly country (low vacuum) and short trips will age oil faster than summer cruising.

16. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

The owner's manual for both my 2012 Caliber and 2018 Ram Cummins say not to go more than six months between oil changes.

17. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Just follow the manual or better the on-board oil change indicator if so equipped and most cars today have them.
    I've been following 10K change intervals in my vehicles without a indicator based on I use full synthetic oil w/MS-6395 spec and I travel a good bit of highway miles which are easy on oil than short trips and stop and go of city travel.

BTW, I have a '06 Hemi at 233,000 and a '01 4.7L at 356,000 following that oil change interval.
    '14 Hemi is at 100K following the on-board oil change indicator.
    So, yes, the engines will last just fine on 10K oil change intervals.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  18. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

10,000 miles, oil change light or 1 year, which ever comes 1st. The OCI light never comes on in my 2014 3.6 either, I change it once a year.

19. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I used to run Mobil1 full synthetic and a Wix filter on my 2013 Chrysler 200 and changed it every 10,000 miles. It still ran perfectly when I traded it at 150,000 miles. I'm doing the same with my Kia Forte except that I'm running the Mobil 1 filter on it. 85,000 trouble free miles and it doesn't use a bit of oil between changes. I'm shooting for 300,000 miles out of this car. Wife hates it and I really like it.