Allpar Forums banner

300m fuel fill tube (Dorman P/N)

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tomguy 
#1 ·
The fill tube on my '00 300m has apparently rusted to the point where it must have a leak on the section that is close to where it meets the large flex-hose going to the tank. Not enough to drip gas on the floor, but enough to "wet" the tube and make the garage smell like gasoline.

I notice there is a Dorman 577-975 part that says it's for '99 300m and (according to Dorman website) it is not for year 2000 300m, and Dorman doesn't seem to have a listing for a fill tube for my year.

Any ideas why the fuel fill tube assembly for a 1999 300m would be different than a 2000?

#2 ·
They have different part numbers in the Mopar catalog as well. I don't know what the difference is. Possibly related to an emissions item like ORVR? It may still 'fit', but I can't guarantee that.
1999: 4581298AA.
2000: 4581319AA.

#3 ·
Be careful that it's not the flex hose leaking. My 92 Dakota developed a fuel leak such that when I was filling it, it would drip every second or two, creating a wet stain about 10 inches in diameter at each fillup. It was leaking where the metal tube meets the flex hose. The flex hose looked fine at first glance, so I thought it was the filler tube and bought both. Tube was $86 and hose was $5.
It was the hose. It looked fine, but when I removed it, there were microcracks only visible along the end of the hose, not the inner or outer surfaces. Wasted $86.

#4 ·
Yea, when I look at where the hose is clamped around the tube on the end facing the back of the car, the hose does look old with cracks on the exposed surface. This gas leak seems to have happened right after my last fill-up. After 2 days I had another look - no smell in the garage and the hose and tube look bone dry. Didn't drive very much, so I'm not sure what's going on. I called a local dealer here in Ontario and they wanted $380 (CAD) for the filler tube (gave them the P/N mentioned above for '00 year). I called a local discount parts supplier and they verified that Dorman doesn't have a part for 2000, but does for 1999 model 300m. They wanted $110 for that. I figure if I had too, I'd cut the bad part of the tube off and just get a longer hose to go from the tank to the tube. The part that I'd likely have to cut would probably be the section that runs right past the muffler (2 or 3 inches away) so I don't know if heat would be an issue. But for now I'll wait and see if the leak comes back next time I fill up.

#5 ·
Verify where the leak is from first. Filler tube leaks will likely set an evaporative leak fault code eventually. Tube rust-out is common on older, salt-belt vehicles.

#6 ·
Be careful with those Dorman filler tubes. I had one on my old 98 Town and Country, it barely lasted 2 years and it rusted through. It also had poor fitment. Replaced it with a Mopar part I found on Ebay from a dealer clearing out old stock and fit like a glove. was still in great condition when I junked the van last winter. The Mopar tube was 3 years old at that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.