AF: 300m Headlight bulbs (9005X vs 9006X) | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

300m Headlight bulbs (9005X vs 9006X)

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by MoPar~Man, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Active Member

A few years ago I bought a set of new headlight assemblies from China ($40 each if I recall - EagleEye was the brand). Really changes the car's appearance when you replace the hazy lens with new clear ones. Gives it a new-car look. Anyways, they came with new bulbs pre-installed. A few days ago I noticed that the low-beam had stopped working on one side. I've replaced a rear tail-light (brake light) once or twice in the 19 years I've had the car, but this is the first time I'm dealing with a headlight bulb.

I still had the original headlight units - with their bulbs still in place, so I took them all out. I see they're all 2-pin (single element) bulbs. Sylvania 9005X/SLL 22N HB3A 60W and 9006X/S 22P HB4A 51 W. I forget which is inner (DRL) and which is outer (regular night driving) but I'm assuming the 51 Watt 9006 is the DRL.

I was wondering if these bulbs are interchangable - I'm thinking that maybe in DRL mode the DRL bulb is given a lower voltage - otherwise there isin't a lot of difference between a 51 vs 60 watt light? And how does the high-beam work with this setup? I mean, these bulbs just have 1 filament - not like the old cars (4004 round headlight?) with 2 separate filaments (low beam / high beam).

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

DRL uses the high beam bulb at a 60% duty-cycle.
    Low beams are listed as 9006 XSLL and high beams are 9005 XS.