Allpar Forums banner

300m security / alarm question

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Doug D 
#1 ·
Was hearing recently that the mystery device that started showing up in 2013 that allowed thieves roaming in the night to walk up to cars and unlock them has been identified. I still haven't seen a definative explanation as to if this applies to cars with AND without push-button ignition, but the mystery device in question works on push-button ignition cars. Seems to involve capturing the owner's key-fob press and then simulating it later, or sending out a signal that the fob can pick up (in the owner's home, which presumably is near the parked car) and then capturing the fob's signal and re-transmitting it to the car. Out of 35 different cars (with push-button ignition) tested where the doors could be unlocked, 18 of them could be started and driven away. Still don't know if any of this technology applies to unlocking Chrysler vehicles of the LH vintage.

And on a slight tangent - explain this.

Under what conditions will the factory car alarm go off for a 300m? I did an experiment where I locked the car with the fob from the outside while someone was in the car, and a few seconds after locking I had the person open the door from the inside - and the alarm didn't go off.

Presumably opening, say, the driver's door from the inside is similar to what a slim-jim would accomplish (the car doesn't know the difference) so if the alarm doesn't go off in that situation then when exactly DOES it go off?

See less See more
#5 ·
There should be a blinking red LED on top of the dash panel or in the instrument cluster to indicate arming status. It will start out blinking rapidly when the car is first locked. Then after a moment, the blinking rate should slow. This slow-blink indicates that the VTSS is armed.
The RKE works on a 'rolling code' that changes with every button push and makes it very difficult to mimic. Capturing the last button push code won't do the crook any good unless he can predict and generate the 'next' code.
Rolling code - Wikipedia

Reactions: Doug D
#6 ·
My owner's manual says there is a security light that should blink rapidly for 16 seconds (during the arming process) and then slow to a steady slow blink. However, with my Ram I've never seen it blink at all since new.

The security light on our '10 Journey does exactly as described in Imperial's post. Fast blink for about 16 seconds followed by a slow steady blink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.