AF: 340 engine thermostat | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

340 engine thermostat

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by scatpack70, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I think it was too, Cudapete. My suggestion is to find a location near the radiator, determine how much room you have and start junkyard shopping for something that fits in the space. Clutch fans are clutch fans, as long as the bolt pattern is correct, any one should work just fine. Once you get a shroud, then you might have to look at spacers, so something else to get at the junkyard so the fan is deep enough.

2. scatpack70

scatpack70 New Member

Thanks again you guys for the info, I'll see what I can find.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Funny thing, I have the opposite problem, I can't seem to get the temp to budge. Either I mis-installed the thermostat, put in a bad one, or the temp sensor's wrong. Using a/c in stop and go traffic I should be able to get hot water.

4. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

:D Yeh, - - too funny. Wonder if o.p. is still an active member - as this is older thread.
    Not sure about A-bodies but first E-body with 'catch-can' was the '74 model. They utilized a very unique and ultra-rare round cap with predominantly white disc on top. Most replacement caps have a 'dual-seal' config. which adds a larger (flat) rubber seal around the perimeter - to allow tight seal against top of rad. neck. As liquid in system cools down, the smaller, inner seal will pull down (as they do in all applications) to allow the developing vacuum to pull in liquid from catch-can. Outer seal maintains its' integrity so random air cannot enter the system. One other added benefit of a dual-seal or 'recovery' rad cap is that it permits the system to be totally filled, unlike the earlier units which used an overflow hose to spill excess hot liquid onto the ground. A sealed system which is properly run full to the top, can also contain up to two quarts of extra coolant - thus contributing to better overall cooling potential.
    May I add that anyone in similar situation should have their radiator inspected and 'flow-tested' at a good shop.