AF: 360 build camshafts | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 build camshafts

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Lane Perkins, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Lane Perkins

Lane Perkins New Member

Hello. I am new to the gas scene (mostly a diesel guy) and I am planning on building a 360 la for my 87 Ramcharger. I have headers with a good exhaust, Edelbrock rpm intake and nicely ported stock heads. I will be stroking the engine to 408ci with a forged Scat crank and plan on adding a 75-100 shot Of nitrous. Trans is a torqueflite 727 with 3000 stall converter. The part I’m having trouble with is picking a camshaft for the build. It will be used for mostly street driving with occasional drag racing and mud bogging. I anyone can help me find the right setup for this I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Lane Perkins

Lane Perkins New Member

For simplicity I’ll be sticking with a flat Tappet cam

3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Get ahold of Racer Brown.

4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

A Hughes 290 hyd, it may seem big but..
    - it takes advantage of the larger mopar lifter, no chevy lobes.
    - you have both displacement and converter to make up for its weak but for its size civilized low end.
    - consider going to a singleplane intake.
    Your heads will the limiting factor, even good ported production heads are lousy.
    - get an oilcooler for the tranny, itll need it with that converter. Consider your gearing.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

With the setup you have, keep the lift in the range of .475, which is enough and will take advantage of the stall converter, and a duration in the 275 range. It's a good fit for some bottom end torque with the stall, but will keep breathing at 5500rpm when mudding, but still allow you to get out or your own way on the street. Port match the intake runners to the gasket to help with flow at lower rpm. Your torque converter is a little big for the strteet, the converter will be slipping until you get to that 3000rpm, so unless you have 3.91s or 4.10s and 12.00X16.5 tires, agree, a trans cooler will definitely be needed, whereas a stock 11 inch converter with a 2000rpm stall does a better job for both worlds, even for bogging in the mud, you want to have a little bit more low end trans lockup, your setup will rev higher than 6000rpm, but you don't have enough oiling to keep it in a range above that for very long, so you are simply wasting bottom end torque and will be replacing bearings more often than necessary. The 11 inch torque converter was used in cop cars, motor homes, and most 440s (but not all), and they actually say, 2000 rpm stall converter on them.

6. Lane Perkins

Lane Perkins New Member

Thanks I will consider going to a 2000 stall and getting a high volume oil pump

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, the high volume oil pump is a good addition. The cam approximate I suggest is big compared to stock, but Small Block strokers can handle it without a problem, and it will give you great mid and upper power, especially as a flat tappet. You are going to need adjustable rockers and pushrods for the rockers, too, something I didn't see on your list. Go with steel instead of aluminum rockers, plenty of brand names out there to select from.