Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

392 1500, Why not?

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Orsalak, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Don W

Don W Active Member

I was unaware of curb weight. But 2014 Ford was a dog in terms of weight I do remember that. I just go by commercials sometimes lol. But it seemed as though it's payed off for them with their class leading numbers. I have no idea how much weight the DT will shed. Hopefully, we can have a fast(er) truck. If they put the 392 in a truck trim, then I'd be curious to see the performance. Will it be low 5 seconds? Will the DT rebel TRX mop? Time will tell!

2. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

2014 F-150 curb weight (depending on configuration) - 4685-6113 lbs
    2014 Ram 1500 curb weight (depending on configuration) - 4514-5718 lbs

2017 F-150 curb weight (depending on configuration) - 4051-5238 lbs
    2017 Ram 1500 curb weight (depending on configuration) - 4517-5670 lbs

DT will be lighter than DS, for sure. And will probably close the gap with F-150. How much? No idea yet.

3. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Is it bad that I don't care much about weight (or mpg) in a truck? I was conceived in the 60s, so perhaps my age contributes to my curmudgeonlinesses, but trucks should not be Aluminum. If speed is your thing, why are you looking at trucks? Hats off to Chevrolet's marketing department for exposing the folly of Aluminum truck beds for of all Ford's competitors. And to think, they make other more critical parts of the vehicle out of Aluminum . . .
    Bob teased some carbon fiber elsewhere, which won't be standard on working class vehicles, but if light/speed is what you want - there, go carbon yourself.

That 500 lbs does not deter me one bit. Having a wimpy truck that may - possibly irreparably - puncture, break, twist, or bend, however does deter me. Give me steel, V-8, dual exhaust, and the letters RAM on the back so large you can see them from outer space.

#43 VoiceOfReason, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Devildodge likes this.
  4. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

I don't care about weight or MPG either in a truck. I was just making a comparison for one of the members

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  5. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I think you probably both do care, at least a bit, about MPG in a truck. It's just that you're not willing to compromise on ruggedness or capability to get it.

6. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

I care as much about gas mileage as I do about gas prices, which is to say, I don't typically go out of my way for it. The pennies saved do not justify the time spent. Time is more important than money. Likewise, performance far outweighs economics. Funds are limited, but I convert most expenses into an hours worked comparison. When it comes to performance, I'm willing to put in the hours and/or delay retirement (to a point) such that MPG gets very little consideration. But, that depends on the vehicle. When I was considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I paid more attention to it. The Ram Rebel TRX? Do not know. Do not care.

somber likes this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

When I purchased my Ram, fuel economy was a factor, but not THE primary factor. I was more concerned with capability. That is the difference between "car" buyers and "truck" buyers. I certainly did not look at trucks for fuel economy. If I was interested in fuel economy I would have purchased a sedan and not a truck.

However, if a truck such as the EcoDiesel can provide good fuel economy (especially while towing or hauling) in addition to capability, it's a win-win for the customer.

somber likes this.