AF: 40,000 mile wrap up, RAM 1500 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40,000 mile wrap up, RAM 1500

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redhed, Aug 24, 2020.

1. redhed

Level III Supporter

2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Also problems with the 12" Uconnect system and some serious issues with the e-torque system.

3. thebluegoat

thebluegoat Active Member

I believe this has been happening since they brought the hemi back in the early 2000s. I had my bolts replaced under warranty on my 2011 and just redid them about a month ago. One broken stud on each side. When I went to the dealer to get new parts for it he said they do about 4 or 5 of them a week. We’re in a town of 7000 people too.

4. redhed

Level III Supporter

Thats not good! One would think that issue would of been corrected by now!

5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The starter-battery drain they mention could not have been caused by a fault with eTorque - the eTorque 48 V system and Li-ion battery pack do not draw any current from the 12V electrical system and its lead-acid battery. The most likely culprit for flattening the battery would be the uConnect unit - I'm guessing RAMs have an auto-shutoff for the headlamps.

6. habu987

habu987 Member

For what it's worth, I've got a '19 Longhorn that I've had for almost 2 years now. Besides the Pentastar that I stupidly got in the quest for better fuel efficiency being a slug given the sheer weight of the truck, I haven't had any issues with it at all. The 12" head unit has restarted itself twice while driving since I've had it, but that's it, and I've run into similar issues with every other vehicle I've had that's had a "smart" head unit.

redhed and saltydog like this.
  7. WXman

WXman Active Member

They've been offering a 5.7L Hemi engine for 18 model years now and they're still having issues with exhaust manifolds, lack of oiling due to block design, and now issues with the eTorque system too, just to name a couple of things people still talk about on the owner group forums. It's kind of sad. They make good power but they drink fuel and aren't always good for 200,000 miles like the competitors' V8 engines.

voiceofstl and FreeLantz like this.
  8. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

There have been a lot of problems with battery drain and the eTorque on various Ram forums. In many cases batteries were replaced. This is not an isolated case.
    Last summer at about 35,000 miles I had the manifold and bolts replaced on one side of my Hemi in my '16 Ram, as the bolts were broken. The loud ticking noise it causes goes away after the engine heats up and parts expand. You would think by now a better bolt would be used instead of the junk they are still using.

9. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Wow, still with manifold issues.....I guess I something to look forward too.

10. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Ongoing drain of the auxiliary battery is a common problem with JLs as well, eTorque or not.

11. redhed

Level III Supporter

Now that I think about it, a co-worker had the manifold bolts replaced on his hemi truck a couple years ago. Wonder if this issue is confined to the trucks only, what about lx cars and GC with 5.7? Maybe it's a good thing my Scat is a lease!

#11 redhed, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  12. Powdered Toast Man

That wasn't the only issue. Engine hesitation and even stalling was another complaint.

KrisW likes this.
  13. Powdered Toast Man

I came out one day and my 2015 200 was stone cold dead. Boosted it and the issue hasn't happened again.

14. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

I had the exhaust manifold issue on both my 2011 and 2012 1500 5.7s. I don't know if it is an issue on the 6.4, but I have not seen yet after 45,000 miles.

saltydog likes this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I guess I have been fortunate. 270,000+ miles on the Hemi in my '06 Ram 1500 and no problems aside from an occasional EGR replacement.

saltydog likes this.
  16. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

My dad just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 and eTorque. He loves it so far. He was going to trade his Wrangler for a Gladiator but JT and JL both feel smaller up front than the JK.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

The Hemi isn't unique with that I guess. My 3.6 had to have exhaust bolts replaced (Don't think it was headers, but the downpipe connection).
    But yeah everyone I know with a Hemi has them replaced or deals with it. You'd think with all the warping manifolds and snapped studs they'd have gone with a larger stud and new manifold supplier by now?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

I wonder if they changed the design or supplier in the last 10 years. My '05 Ram had 120k on it when I sold it and never had an issue with the bolts on it.

19. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Its a problem on the newer Durango's too. My '14 Durango Hemi has had broken exhaust studs replaced under warranty as many others that are on the same Durango forum.
    My '06 300C has had zero exhaust issues.

20. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Yes, got that, and that is a definite issue with eTorque and/or the transmission. It just irks me sometimes when journalists make "guesses" about things that have no basis in fact. As a journalist, if you don’t know, you’re supposed to find out, and if you can’t find out, you leave it out.

Some full hybrid vehicles ship with a smaller capacity lead-acid battery because the hybrid battery system provides reserve power for all the engine accessories when the car is on, and this is probably where this idea springs from. Toyota’s hybrids are well known for draining their 12 V batteries (this is probably the reason why they use glass mat batteries for the 12 V system: these survive deep discharging much better than the cheaper, traditional battery).

#20 KrisW, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    UN4GTBL and ScramFan like this.