Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$40 for an air filter? really?

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by cjben, Mar 23, 2014.

1. cjben

cjben New Member

Changed the oil and filter again today in my lady friend's 2012 Journey with the V6. I had never put an air filter in it and didn't know when the last time it was changed,so thought I would pick one up at the parts store. $40 later,I walked out of the parts store with a new air filter :( The price seemed awful high to me for just a paper filter. I bought a drop in K@N for my truck for less money then that. This store (O'reily's) was the only store locally that even had one in stock. How many miles are these supposed to last? I generally change paper filters every 10-15,000 miles,but at that price,not sure I will be changing this one that often, Thanks for listening to my rant!! :)

2. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Autozone was over $40. also for the V6 filter. The 4 cyl filter was half or less. Must be be a big filter for the V6.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Unless you live in a dusty area, the filter should easily last 30-40 k miles. 10-15 k miles sounds too early. If it is still white, it just may need to be tapped against a hard surface to knock off any loose debris.
    Did it really need changing?
    I see them for reasonable prices at other vendors (I have never dealt with this particular vendor).
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dodge-journey-air-filter

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c2/air-filters-related/14979?isAllVehicle=false&showTitle=&vehicleIdFromReq=570212&vehicleIdSearch=570212

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Air filters used to need more frequent replacement. Like everything else!

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

$40 for an air filter? I would have left it there.

I have a 2010 Journey SXT with the 3.5L V6 and the air filter runs about ~$10 or so. I can't imagine the air filter for the 3.6L being that much different that it costs 4 times as much.

Checked the local auto parts stores online (Advance and AutoZone).

AutoZone lists them for $40+

Advance has 4 filters ranging from $8 to $71.

Interesting........

6. floridaman2013

kinda shocked me too after looking at Autozone prices. I know that when I replaced my air filter on my Nissan Frontier last year, I found a lot of the "cheaper" brands were made in China. I do think I would also walk away from a 440 air filter unless it was a K & N or something in that category high performance type filter.

7. JTE

JTE Well-Known Member

An air filter engineer once told me the filter is good for 50,000 miles and the dirtier they are the better they filter.

Years back, after a 1,400 mile road trip, I found a mouse nest tightly packed in the air box of our 1998 Caravan and I still got 25 mpg on the highway.

Of course I'm not recommending service schedules here just telling stories about the other end of the service curve.

8. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

Last month I paid ~$10 for the Grand Caravan and ~$20 for the Journey's at Canadian Tire. They appear to be the same "frame size", but the Journey's is ~30% deeper.

The first time I was looking to replace the filter on my 2000 Neon they were asking $50 at the dealer, and there were no aftermarket models available yet; I got a K&N for $100 instead.

9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Personally, I would stay with OEM parts while the car is under warranty.
    K & N has had claims of insufficient filtering, the 'low-restriction' lets too much debris through the filter medium.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I generally would use OEM parts while under warranty, but most dealers simply charge too much for an air filter. My servicing dealer usually charges $29.99 for an air filter - at least that's what they wanted the last time I. It's hard for me to spend $30 on an air filter when a quality Fram or Purolator air filter is available at Advance Auto for about $10.

I agree on not using K&N filters.

11. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

Well, I got over 329 000 km on the Neon using that K&N, and never had any engine issues... mind you I drove mostly high-way, and did 5000 km oil changes.

12. floridaman2013

I agree with ImperialCrown on using OEM type filters, but if I only drive ON ROAD, I have used K & N, Airaid, and some other HP filters and have gotten better fuel mileage and performance but some were double the price of stock filters so if not keeping the vehicle for long period, it might not be worth the price.

13. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I bought a used Neon (1995 2.0 OSHC) and a used Dakota (1999 5.9) that had K&N filters (and a "cold air" intake on the Dakota). Neither came with the servicing kit though both had nice clean filters. In both cases, I went to the salvage yard and reinstalled the factory setup and paper filter. Guess what? No power loss, no MPG loss.

The one that got me was the 2007 Wrangler. Goodyear wanted to replace the filter for $23. I thought, gee that's epxensive. I'll replace it myself. Still cost me $18 at the cheapest local parts place (I think O'Reilys).

14. stevenspeaking

Factory list price is $27.85 for the filter.

15. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

If you dont live in a dusty area then it should not need it before 35000 miles. Even then it is still pretty clean, realistically in my experience you probably could go 50000 miles without issue. I just changed mine on my Ascender at 35000 and still looked almost brand new, so they dont get dirty very fast anymore. If you lived in China with their horrendous air pollution it might be a different story.

16. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Rock auto has a Wix filter for $16.69.
    WIX Part # 49049 [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    $16.69

T-Dot25 and dak4x4 like this.
  17. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It's true that a slightly dirty air filter is more effective than a new one, up to the point where it has trapped enough dirt that it doesn't flow well enough. The trick is knowing when that point is. I think it's well beyond 15K miles for most people.

I used a drop-in K&N filter for over 30,000 miles (100 tankfuls) in my Dakota under VERY consistent driving conditions. It gave zero increase in gas mileage and no noticeable performance increase at all. It was louder, though.

stroudtom likes this.
  18. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

Wix has good products.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  19. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

I was thinking about puting a K&N in my 06 Dakota, maybe it's not worth doing?

20. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I've used K&N before and wasn't impressed. I just stick with replacing the paper filters and am happy with the way that works. No buying a cleaner and then having to oil the filter this way.