Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$40 for an air filter? really?

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by cjben, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If you visit the website, and correspond with them as I did, they confirmed that they DO NOT claim to improve gas mileage at all - because their product doesn't. I also looked at the $50 cost of filter and kit, vs. the paper filter that cost me $7, I could buy 7 filters and drive up to 210,000 miles for the same cost as a single filter that does tend to shred by 50K miles. Not only that, the cleaning, drying and re-oiling process for their filter takes 2 hours. I can change a paper filter in 30 seconds.

Doug D and floridaman2013 like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

... and some people say that the K&N lets in a lot more dirt.

3. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

New car filters can be very expensive at the dealer and local auto parts stores. On my 2014 Grand Caravan, they came out with a new oil filter for the 2014 model years that is not the same as the previous 3 years. At the autoparts stores, they were asking as much as $18 each (more than the dealer).

What I found out is that the online dealers will often sell for much less and often have listings on Amazon or E-Bay. I recently got the Mopar oil filter for a 2014 3.6 engine for $7.50 shipped and no tax by buying a few at a time. I expect the price to drop further as time goes on.

I would check to see if that air filter can be purchased online. I suspect you can get it at half the price paid. It is not like you have to have it immediately (i.e. can wait on shipping for things like filters).

floridaman2013 likes this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Fact - when compared to a stock OEM filter.

5. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Correct. In fact, stay with OEM for the life of the vehicle!! Same for oil filters!!!

Mopartial likes this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

7. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

My wife took her 2013 Journey with the 2.4 motor in for service.
    The dealer charged a total of 75.00 for:

R/R Air Filter
    R/R fresh air Intake Filter.

A fair price?
    Thanks .

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Our dealer wanted $65 just for the cabin air filter. I had a Denso brand shipped to me for $21.

9. dodgeismycar

Thanks!
    I feel better about the dealer anyway!!

10. moparroy

moparroy Member

When I first put the K&N on my 85 Daytona I did notice an improvement in breathing / flow = power at the very top end - not major but detectable at very high rpm. Now that was putting a conical filter right on the throttle body so eliminating a bunch of plumbing as well. That was about 50k miles ago back in '93. I did replace it with another conical filter about 30k miles later in '06 - clean them every year or two depending on miles driven and how they look - just wash with mild soap and re-oil them well. Thinking I may be in the market for another replacement soon. I did try a K&N replacement filter in the Challenger (in the stock air box) and I agree no noticeable change.

11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

K&N just lets more dirt in and noise out. Not good for the car.

Conical filter under the hood just takes in hot air instead of the cold air that it's designed to, and will slightly hurt performance and gas mileage.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  12. dodgeismycar

Bob,
    My Challenger came equipt with the Mopar cold air box and filter(dealer installed).
    In your very valued opinion, is this set up going to be good long term?

13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

That's a little different from just hanging a cone filter underhood as most people do. Your setup actually is a cold air intake, as it has a thermal barrier from the engine compartment. But I'm not familiar with that filter itself, and whether it would let additional dirt through, as the K&N does.

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

one more note...

The 2.2 and 2.5 TBI engines often had a horrible air route so that the paper filter would be filthy in around a three inch square. (In some cases you could turn them around and suddenly have all the effects of a brand new filter.)

Later, the 2.0 engines had a much better air path and the filter tended to clog up uniformly. I think that really increased its lifespan!

Today, I highly doubt any car has an air path as bad as the old 2.2/2.5 TBI. There's too much at stake. At the time, I think they were more interested in cost savings than how often you had to change the filter and how well the engines did at peak rpm. I don't really know, anyway, if it affected performance all that much once the little square was covered in filth, because the air could still fly around to the other parts of the filter... I really don't know what impact that had. Maybe none, maybe five horsepower. Gas mileage would be unaffected because the mix was controlled by the oxygen sensor. If you blocked half the intake you'd lose power but gas mileage should be similar...

15. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Call filterheads at 855-598-8551. Or go to filterheads.com. I bought my cabin air filter from them for around $16.00. Much cheaper than any of the chain autoparts stores.

16. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I have seen this personally on 2 different vehicles, including one that I now own.

DC-93 likes this.
  17. Frantz

Frantz Member

$40 for an air filter seems high, but at 40k interval as suggested above, that $00.001 per mile. If you can get OEM for same or less, do that. Just considering inflation over the past 10-20 years (or any period), the price seems fairly in line.

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I have to admit I've never gone OEM on air filters but I probably should. Try an Internet supplier as in http://www.allpar.com/i/mopar-parts.html (there's a list) and they have 25% off list usually which may bring it down to aftermarket prices.

19. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I try and stick with OEM filters. K&N I would only use if I had a race car for track use only. Those things are more of a mess and headache than they are worth for everyday driving. An exposed, under hood cone filter makes no sense to me, as it would just suck in engine heat. Yes, correct, the air filter for my 3.6 is $40. I don't replace it yearly like I usually would though. I knock it out now and again and it seems to stay pretty clean.

20. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

30K is the recommended change interval for the OEM filter on a '13 Minivan. You would be VERY how much dirt the OEM filter can hold before it degrades performance!

Key point in all of this is one word: FILTER
    Keep every contaminant OUT of the engine!! ;)