Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

46RE NO Lock-up 1991

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by jase386, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jase386

jase386 Member

1991 B350 with 46RE I don't think is going into lock up. Mostly asking today, when should I feel the lock-up engage or does it happen simultaneous with another shift?

any information on this trans is greatly appreciated, as this is my first dodge. I am used to Ford and GM, both of which I am familiar with shift points and lockup points.

thanks ahead of time.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Any fault codes or 'ck engine' light?
    The torque converter lock-up should feel (or sound) like a 4th-5th shift between 40-50 mph under gentle acceleration.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

First of all: are you sure this is indeed a lockup transmission? From the specs I see there were lockup and non-lockup 4 speed automatics with the 5.2 engine and a non-lockup 4 speed auto with the 5.9 engine.

4. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I can’t say this is 100% accurate, but from what I read the lighter duty transmission (A500 aka 42RH) is lockup and the heavy duty transmission (A518 aka 46RH) is non-lockup.

Being a 1991, yours should be an RH transmission, not an RE.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. jase386

jase386 Member

No CEL or codes at this time. I just know that I only feel three shifts. 1-2, 2-3, 3-OD

I think it is the 46RH, got confused with all the articles that led to nowhere. The sticker on the underside of the hood says A518 Lock UP converter. This van does have the 360 5.9.

Will the lockup feel like a 3-4 shift, and overdrive feel like a 4-5 shift ( I know there is no fifth, just saying FEELS LIKE)
    or is lockup and engaging Overdrive the same movement?

is there a physical trait of the lockup trans I can look for from under the van like a certain harness, tube, wire, switch etc, that a non lockup wouldn't have?

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Sorry, I misspoke. It should feel like a 4th to 5th upshift. Have you felt lock-up in the van before and now don't feel it?

7. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I’ve never felt the lockup as strongly with these in my Dodge pickups as compared to the lockup in my parents Ford cars. Sometimes if not for the tach, I wouldn’t notice the lockup.

8. jase386

jase386 Member

I bought it well used. Ive never felt lock up in it. I haven't had it long. I just noticed it seems to run really hard on the interstate, and started digging around, then realized it doesn't seem to lock up. Older GM transmissions feel like a 3-4 shift and OD comes in with a 4-5 feel. Ford AOD's drop into 3 and lockup with the same movement. I plan on towing an RV trailer with this van, but it really runs hard over 60mph.
    I only feel the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts, that's why I was hoping there would be some easier way to tell by looking at the transmission itself. Just because the hood says its a lockup, doesn't mean the hood or transmission haven't been changed during its previous abusive ownerships.

9. valiant67

Level III Supporter

There is a way to tell, I just don’t know where to tell you to look. If it is lockup there will be wiring for it, I’m just not sure where on the transmission.

10. jase386

jase386 Member

Will a non lockup have wiring also, or less wires? I can try to check today if I have time.

11. valiant67

Level III Supporter

All of them will have wiring to the neutral safety switch and the OD solenoid at a minimum. The lockup wiring should be separate.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I have a 92 Dakota with 42RH (A500) transmission behind the 3.9L V-6. I believe the 46RH (A518) of this era will be the same.

There is a 3-pin connector for the neutral safety switch and backup lights, and another 3-pin connector for the overdrive and lockup. I believe both are on the left side of the tranny, just above the pan, if memory serves. I think the OD/lockup connector is mounted near the left rear corner of the pan, and I know it's mounted vertically, and is a circular plug.

The lockup engagement is NOT as firm a feel as a shift between any of the other gears, it's just a very, very slight push shortly after the OD engagement. If you have a tachometer, the 3-4 shift at highway speed or just below will show a drop in RPM of about 400-500 RPM, and the lockup engagement will drop no more than another 200 RPM.
    So at highway speed, if you are accelerating around 60-65 mph and it shifts from 3rd into OD, it will drop from about 2600 RPM to 2100 RPM, and drop to 1900 RPM when lockup engages.
    You can also test by pressing the OD lockout switch and driving at moderate speeds, and feeling for the lockup after the 2-3 shift. With OD locked out, the lockup torque converter still engages after the 2-3 shift.
    There is a dual solenoid pack that screws to the right side of the valve body inside the pan that controls the OD and lockup shifts. If the screws come loose, or if the solenoids fail, or if the connector is loose, the default is no 3-4 shift, and no unlock of the torque converter until the 3-2 downshift when slowing.

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If you have a locking converter, you should have a lockout switch. Regular should not have a switch.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  14. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The switch is an OD lockout, it does not lockout the lockup torque converter. When you lock it in 3rd, it still engages the lockup.

15. jase386

jase386 Member

i looked underneath today, and found the round 3 wire connector going into the side just above the pan, there is another 2 wire connector going vertically into the top of the housing, above the left rear corner of the pan. and the speed sensor wiring way back on the tail .

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  16. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The vertical 2-prong connector would suggest to me an O/D solenoid only. A vertical 3-prong would be the O/D and Lock-up. See figure 21A-2700 for a picture here (item # 3):
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD1/81-96/90t.PDF

The 3-wire connector going into the side just above the pan would likely be the Neutral safety/Reverse lamp switch shown in figure 21A-2200 (item # 23).

Is this correct? Yours may not have the lock-up feature.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  17. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Sounds like there is no lockup, if it's only a 2-pin connector.
    Page 21A-1700 for the A500 shows two configurations, items 3 and 22, with and without lockup. 3-pin with lockup, 2-pin without.

The horizontal connector with 3-pins is always neutral safety switch and backup lights (3rd wire is their common 12V, and they each have their own ground), which is present on every automatic since, what, the early 1960s?

ImperialCrown likes this.
  18. jase386

jase386 Member

sadly, for me, its only a 2 pin connector. i checked again, with a flash light this time, to make sure. Since i plan on mostly interstate travel with this van, i was hoping for lock-up to calm the rpms down at hwy speed. This thing just roars at 60 and 70. Pulling a 37 foot trailer will, of course, limit my speed to between 60 and 70 anyway. Maybe some exhaust work will calm the noise down, i know the muffler is weak.

Thanks for all of the help and comments. Being new to Dodge trucks, I will probably be back soon with other questions.

19. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Best thing you can do is to get the tail pipe out from under the bed; side or rear exit.

That works wonders to making it quieter inside the cab.

I've also added a Dynamat-alike inside my 1988 Dakota; that helps a lot too.

RwP

20. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I believe that this is a B-van? Interior insulation helps. The engine cover (doghouse) must be securely fastened to the firewall and floor.
    Many of these came with 4.11 gears in the rear axle. Even with O/D, they would roar above 55 mph.
    Make sure that what you are hearing is engine noise. Drivetrain bearings, wheel-bearings and wind/turbulence noises can 'roar' as well.