Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

46RE NO Lock-up 1991

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by jase386, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

As I said, lockup only drops the engine speed by 200 RPM. It would not make a difference in the noise you describe. What are your RPMs at 65 mph, and what is your axle ratio?

2. jase386

jase386 Member

A LOT of it is exhaust. the front of the muffler is rusted out making the noise come from under the drivers seat. A New muffler will help that, on top of that, not sure how much is actual engine noise. It could use a new doghouse seal also.
    What are some good ideas for additional dog house insulation, or replacement insulation, for noise and heat? that would be better than the factory Foil over Fiberglass.

3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

FWIW, the Ford AOD (non-electronic) is lockup in 3rd, near lockup in OD, 3rd is actually a straight mechanical connection with the converter bypassed (no LU clutch in these) and OD uses partial converter input. On the comparison to GM and Ford, The A604/41TE units I have owned (89, 93, 03 and 05 vans) have all had a fairly smooth but noticeable rpm drop even without a tach you could hear it. My F350 with the 7.5L V8 and E4OD has a very noticeable engagement from 2nd through 4th and on a forced downshift at 54 mph into 3rd, 2700 rpm, quickly dropping to 2200 as the LU clutch re-engaged. The only GM car I had with a TH200C, was a Diesel Bonneville and it had a pretty solid engagement.