Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

46RH Transmission Swap

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by patrick_austin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. patrick_austin

I got a '95 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 and the 46RH transmission, and it's OBD1. The transmission is completely unsalvageable since the Sun gear is warped and the housing to the tail shaft is cracked since it locked up on the previous owner. So my question is what other transmission would work, like if i had access to a 46RE (Electric I know) or a 42RE from a V6, or even swapping it out for a 727, which they are derivatives of anyways. I Just would like to see the thing on the road.

Also I put a tail shaft on from a V6 which was a 42RE since mine was cracked (46RH) It can go in Park, Reverse, Neutral, and first, (Which I can hold until Redline at 50 MPH) but not second, third or Overdrive. Does this have something to do with the Hydraulic/Electrical difference? because it bolted right up.. With some muscle of course.

Any advice would help since I'm sitting here with my thumb up my [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] and more tools than sense.... Thanks

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The RE has the electronic governor, 3/4 shift valve and converter lock up. It is not easily fitted to an RH electrical system.
    You would need to add a PCM and wiring from a '94-'95 Dodge Ram/Dakota/Jeep Grand Cherokee RE and even then may have compatibility/bus/speedometer/ck eng light issues. It could turn into a real Pandora's box and in the end, be un-do-able. It could also violate federal and local emission laws depending on your state.
    You are better off finding a good used/reman 46RH if the rest of the truck is in good shape.

3. chuckg7442

chuckg7442 New Member

I was thinking of doing something similar. I was going to take the 46re from a 97 ram and replace my 46rh. I would assume that if you grab everything that goes with the 46re when you drop it in, it should function since you would have the same PCM, wiring harnes, ect. I thought of it as basically swapping bodies. I know the 46rh is a 3 pin connector, and I want to say the 46re has a 9 pin connector. Like Imperial says, pcm and wiring harness have to go, otherwise it won't know how to shift.

4. chuckg7442

chuckg7442 New Member

I was also advised to avoid the 42s at all cost.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My 92 Dakota V-6 has a 42RH (A500), all original, 221K miles, runs and shifts like brand new. Early in its life it was overloaded by the previous owner and used to tow a 22' sailboat cross-country. I used it in 2009 to tow a 93 Daytona home 220 miles. They are rugged. If you need higher capacity, you go with a 46RH. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 42RH.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The 42RE/RH is fine behind the torque of the V6. They were never offered behind a V8.
    The 44RE/46RE are properly rated for the torque of the V8 and should be reliable with good cooling and maintenance.

7. chuckg7442

chuckg7442 New Member

My set up is a 318, so that makes sense with what I was told. Wouldn't that conflict with the 5.9 or 360, it has more torque and hp. I'm still learning all of this and appreciate any education. Thanks!

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The 5.9L would get the 46RE or 46RH (older).

chuckg7442 likes this.