AF: 4th Gen Ram A/T Tire Thoughts | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4th Gen Ram A/T Tire Thoughts

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, new Wagoneer, commercial trucks' started by Jerry Simcik, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

I am going to need to replace the tires on my 2010 Ram soon. It's a 4x4 with the 275/60R20 tires.

I have run Cooper Zeon LTZs for several years, and have been very happy with them in most cases. They do have a stiffer sidewall (XL rated) than I need, but not too much so that I can't stand it. They handle great on the highway, do not make much noise, and do well-enough off-road for me. Most off-roading I do is mild, not wild. I deal with clay, mud, and sand. The Zeons do well with all of that. Thick mud seems to be the hardest on them, but keeping the tires spinning (and thus cleaning themselves out) gets me through... Snow is usually not an issue in my area...

All that being said, I am being tempted by another tire...

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac...

It's got a softer sidewall, a more aggressive tread pattern, it's several pounds lighter, and offers a 50,000 tread life warranty, something the Coopers don't offer at all. They appear to be a well-built tire, and reviews rate them very well. I am a bit concerned about the edge of the tread pattern though, which is aggressive and could promote the cupping on the inner edge which seems common on these Rams...

But, I know what I'm getting with the Zeons, and I like them well-enough. Do I stick with the Coopers, or do I try the Duratracs?

2. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

That's your choice to make. I have found any Cooper to be a low tread life tire.. Michelins in ten ply are very long lived and perform very well in all other respects. Toyo M55's were great, but have recently had serious issues. I'm considering Nitto Terra Grapplers next, for good off road on road compromise. My Cummins power tends to wear the right rear quicker.

3. Jerry Simcik

10-Plys on a 1/2-ton? No thanks... Now, on your Cummins, perhaps. That is kinda funny about that right rear tire, though. Wonder what causes that odd wear pattern? ;)

I wouldn't say the Coopers are low tread life, not for an A/T tire anyway, but I wouldn't say they're a very long-lasting tire either.

4. dak4x4

dak4x4 Member

Have a look at General Grabbers.

5. Jerry Simcik

I would love to, but they are not available in anything smaller than an 12.5x35R20... I'd need a lift and new rims, which I'm not really interested in...

6. Ramtime

Ramtime New Member

Hi everyone,thought I would give Jerry a tire to consider,it is the Nitto Terra Grappler,this tire is being phased out,so their might be some good deals on the P275/55/20,or the P275/60/20.This tire also runs in a XL version as well for extra towing capacity. Nitto replacement tire for the Terra Grappler is something very similar in tread design. This tire was on my truck and it did not effect my fuel mileage at all.Also there are the Toyo Open Country as well in a A/T and a A/T II as well.Also remember as well the tire weight you have compared to the Goodyear DuraTrac might go up,and your mileage might go down.Hope this helps.

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  7. Jerry Simcik

Thanks for the suggestions. I know a lot of people run the Terra Grapplers, but many of the folks I know who did wore the tread off of the them too quickly for my liking. Also they are more expensive than either the Duratracs or Zeons LTZs, though not by too much. Did you have any issues with them on your Ram?

Also, did you know that the Nitto Terra Grappler is basically a less-expensive version of the Toyo A/Ts? Nitto is a Toyo brand and was made for use in the States originally, when Toyo wasn't sold here itself. When Toyo finally brought their brand name over here, they Nittos became the entry-level tires, while the Toyos were the premium offerings. I like to Toyos, but at about 150% the cost of the Coopers and Goodyears, I'll pass...

One thing I keep going back to is the weight of the Duratracs. They use Kevlar chords, not steel, so they only weigh 44lbs (each). (The Zeons weigh 55lbs, for comparison.) That's a fairly substantial difference.

I am really thinking about the Duratracs. I wish I could find someone who's run them on these new Rams though...

8. Ramtime

Ramtime New Member

No not at all,My take on this Jerry is I have run these on my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with a cabover camper running the tire pressure upwards of 70 psi in extreme heat,and ran them as well on my current 2013 Dodge Ram 1500,if you rotate them every 6000 miles you can get over 40,000 before the tend bar match's the tread.I am running the Toyo Open Country's right now and have my Nitto up for sale.I am suppose to sell them to a gentleman here in a couple of months when he can afford them.They are a quite running tire as well.I also have run these tires in snow and they work really nice,and in wet weather as well.One thing about this Toyo tire business,I was buying Nitto's before the word Toyo was ever spoken in a tire shop.It is like the latest cell phone it is the best so I have to buy it.I have seen some really good tire sales on Nitto's in the past,you just have to keep shopping if you have no trouble buying from WalMart they run a nice price as well,but it you walk into Discount they will match that price or any internet price as well.Also NTB was running sale as well on the out going Nitto Terra Grappler.I see you run P275/60/20,I run a P275/55/20 for the fuel mileage it is a excellent fuel mileage tire as well,and I still see EcoMode as well running down the interstate,so I am a happy camper on all accounts,decent price ,quite,and fuel mileage did not change.If you check on some of the other Ram forums there are some who are running them I am sure of it.Oh and the price you may be seeing is on the new Terra Grappler not the old Terra Grappler make sure you go to Nitto's website and get the correct product number for the tire you are looking at.Hope this helps you with your decision.

9. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I have the Toyo's Open Country At 2 extremes.. and love them.. (285 75R17E) but what I did differant that might intertest poeple who use there truck for more than towing is had them powder balanced.. no wieghts on rims, when coming of trails snow or mud the tires stay in balance. Even though this tire looks aggesive they are very quite when towing or just highway travel... best all around tire I've had to date. I was thinking of going with the Toyo's M55's next ... what kind of issues did you have with them tazdevil? Toyo M55's were great, but have recently had serious issues
    Had Cooper winter tires on my 09 Ram, but only used them in winter and not on the highway... hard on fuel, but awesome winter tire " they saved the lady that cut out in front of me in the dead of winter, the look on her face said things I can't print here.

10. Jerry Simcik

I meant the update this and forgot about doing it:

I purchased the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs...

I love them!

They ride better than the Coopers, they are much more aggressive looking (most people think they are simply a "mud tire"), they handle rain very well, and they are great on dry pavement. They are not very loud either, though at 75-80 mph they do have a subtle whine. If the fan/blower motor is on anything above the lowest speed setting, they cannot be heard.

I have not been able to really test them out off-road yet, but the little I have done was very promising. They seem to clean-out very nicely.

They are not too soft, as some have posted elsewhere. The one's I bought are SL rated tires (As opposed to LT tires, which have much stiffer sidewalls), and can carry more weight than my axles are rated for while being aired up to only 35 PSI. I feel the people that complained of soft sidewalls either purchased the wrong tire (SL instead of LT) or were feeling something else and improperly equating that to the sidewall.

I am looking forward to my next off-road outing, as I want to see what they can do in the sticky stuff...

I've got a few thousand miles on them already, and have no complaints, and for less than $1200 (installed, with additional road hazard warranty) all-in, I feel like these are one of the best A/T tires a person can buy for their Ram.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  11. Ram2500HD

Ram2500HD New Member

I had great luck with BF Goodrich AT KO's on my 1/2 tons & will probably be my 1st choice for a replacement for the stock Firestone HT's when the time comes. I'm going to be using my truck for plowing this winter. Just had an 8' Boss SuperDuty Plow mounted and I hope these stock tires can cut the mustard this coming winter.

12. Jerry Simcik

FWIW, the Goodyear DuraTracs in LT sizes are M&S rated and are prepped for studs.

13. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Yokohama Geolanders H/T G056. I've had a set on my 02 Ram now for over 4000 miles and they've been through snow,ice and torrential downpours here in Texas and they've never missed a beat extremely quiet tire also. I bought a set of 4 for under 500 dollars from discounttiredirect and I highly recommend them to anyone. The price has gone up on these tires since I've bought them but I still find them a reasonable price and a great tire.

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  14. ziaber

ziaber New Member

I put these Hankooks on and really like them for the summer. I run Hercules studded in the winter.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire - 275/60R20 114T

15. Jerry Simcik

Those are both decent tires from what I've heard, but I would say they are more on-road than off-road biased. I wanted something a bit more aggressive, which is why I went with the Zeons first (instead of those already mentioned or the numerous similar options.) Even then, I wanted something a bit more aggressive, as the Zeons still left a little to be desired in clay. This is what led me to the Duratracs.

16. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I have been happy with Michelins for 30 years, until now. Both of my Daytonas needed new tires this year. I bought them 5 years ago, one set had 20K miles and one set 70K miles. Both suffered from deep cracks where the sidewall meets the tread. I call it tread separation, tire shops are calling it dry rot; but there are no cracks anywhere except the tread boundaries. Everyone is saying it's a Michelin issue. I won't use them until this problem is gone.