Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4X4 upgrade - '96 Grand Caravan

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by jansvobodajr, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jansvobodajr

jansvobodajr Active Member

I'm still working on my '96 Grand Caravan, got my rear axle out and still thinking about changing it for Grand Cherokee (or something like that) rear axle with integrated dif. The reason is I want to have real 4X4 vehicle when I'm stuck in the mud or snow. Did anybody something like that before?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by GLHS60, Dec 23, 2017
  3. Stephen M. Paraski

Stephen M. Paraski New Member

Dirt Everyday did a similar thing on a front drive import using Jeep parts, but engine ended up in passenger seat.

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're up to ...

If you do a search for AWD Omni there is lots of info on AWD Caravan parts etc.

Not that you want an Omni but there is lots of discussion and pics on various setups.

I believe the rear axle ratio in 1:1 on the Caravan so that may limit your options.

Thanks
    Randy

5. jansvobodajr

I saw that episode, it was funny.

6. jansvobodajr

Well Randy, I have '96 DODGE Caravan 3,8L AWD and the problem is that the AWD works only when front axle is slipping in forward motion, there's no 4X4 when I'm trying to back up. I would like have this option. And BTW there is some strange thing between driveshaft and the rear axle mounted on the floor lol. I'd like to have something like High-Pinion Dana 30 or something.

7. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I don't think there are many rear diffs with a 1:1 ratio so this might limit your options.

The "strange thing" I believe is the device that couples the rear axle to the front.

Some folks reconfigure the vacuum/electrical controls for it so it can be driver activated.

I think AWD should work in reverse so perhaps there is an issue with it.

Below is a description of how it works, copied from the internet.

Thanks
    Randy

The torque tube assembly attaches to the overrunning clutch case. The front torque shaft bearing is located in the torque tube. The front torque shaft bearing is permanently sealed and does not require maintenance. The torque shaft is located within the torque tube assembly. The vacuum reservoir and solenoid assembly are attached to the top of the torque tube.

The overrunning clutch allows the rear wheels to overrun the front wheels during a rapid front wheel lock braking maneuver. The overrunning action prevents any feed-back of front wheel braking torque to the rear wheels. It also allows the braking system to control the braking behavior as a two wheel drive (2WD) vehicle.

The overrunning clutch has a separate oil sump and is filled independently from the differential. The fill plug is located on the side of the overrunning clutch case. When filling the overrunning clutch with lubricant use Mopar® Type 7176 Automatic Transmission fluid or equivalent.

The dog-clutch provides All Wheel Drive in reverse by bridging and locking out the overrunning clutch. The dog-clutch is operated by a double-acting servo using intake manifold vacuum as its power source. Two vacuum solenoids, controlled by the back up light switch, engage and disengage the dog-clutch. A spring in the vacuum servo disengages the dog clutch if vacuum is lost.

Devildodge likes this.
  8. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

I once had a 95´awd and it did definately have a working awd when reversing, something is wrong with yours.
    - forget using a jeep axle unless you wanna go full blown custom build,,,

9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I remember seeing this issue in the past. The overrunning clutch sprags were assembled backwards from a past service. Installing the clutch roller orientation correctly, rectified the problem.
    First make sure that the vacuum servo and vacuum circuit are operating correctly.
    See p. 3-44 and 3-45 here for the correct clutch turning direction check:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...ger_Diesel_Versions_Include/english/egs_3.pdf

10. jansvobodajr

Now it completely makes sense to me. I had have broken wire somewhere between transmission and back up light for years. I was lazy to fix it, but recently I have added a new wire from the back up switch to back up light. Now I need to find out where was the wire connected to those vacuum solenoids and the problem should be fixed. I'm so happy ;-) Thank you Randy for your answer.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  11. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Please keep us updated on your repair.

Thanks
    Randy

12. NYBo

Level III Supporter

AWD didn't work in reverse in my '91 Voyager. The line to the rear vacuum servo was the culprit.