AF: 4xe Renegade and Compass | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4xe Renegade and Compass

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by auric, Jul 20, 2020.

1. auric

auric Well-Known Member

purplepassengerpete and UN4GTBL like this.
  2. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Pricing in Italy from €38,500 for Renegade 4xe, €44,400 for the Compass.

Cheapest ICE Renegade offering 4WD Low starts at €33,400 (although currently available at €30,500 under a promotional campaign);

The Compass models with 4WD are no longer offered in Italy or Germany (the UK site does show them, but this may be old stock).

In my country, a generous grant for PHEVs will make these models slightly cheaper than their ICE equivalents, before you factor in the far lower running costs.

3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I hope something shows up here in the USA. I can get an off lease Fiat 500e, but that model uses 2012 BEV technology and I would like greater range. The Renegade 4xe is probably the best fit for me. I am in love with the latest electric Fiat 500, but I'm not holding my breath until that model arrives here.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. auric

auric Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-20_10-56-37.jpeg
    FWIW Jeeps US website says all Jeep models will have 4xe by 2022.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

On a technical level, while 4xe is described as "rear e-axle", it actually uses two electromotors - one on the rear axle, and one at the engine for the front axle. It's unclear where in the drive-train this motor sits, but previous investor material described the small Jeeps as P2P4 vehicles, which suggests a motor-in-transmission (i.e., P2 front + P4 rear).

On the 4xe models, that front e-motor is described as performing fill-in and torque boost, rather than full motive power, but having a front motor opens a possibility of front-drive PHEV models using the same architecture with a bigger front motor and no rear one.

Battery for Renegade is 7.4 kWh, giving an electric range of 30 miles (50 km). It's located under the rear seats and in the space previously reserved for the front-to-rear shaft, so there's no loss of interior volume.

The ICE transmission is a Dual Clutch type, but I believe @T_690 mentioned previously that, unlike previous DCT offerings from FCA, this one uses a wet clutch, rather than dry clutch system, which should make it more suitable to the endless-crawl driving of US traffic jams. However, as the e-motor provides the creep function, heavy traffic conditions should have very little impact on the ICE gearbox.

UN4GTBL, tlc and T_690 like this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

It's P0+P4. So it doesn't use DCT or any transmission with an integrated electric motor. It should be ancient Aisin 6 speed torque converter.

Battery capacity is 11.4 kWh.
    Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe: the Jeep® brand’s take on the plug-in hybrid (at https://www.media.fcaemea.com/em-en/jeep/press/renegade-4xe-and-compass-4xe-the-jeep-brand-s-take-on-the-plug-in-hybrid )

KrisW likes this.
  7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Yes, the transaxle should be the AISIN 6 speed first used in Brazil with Jeep Renegade, Fiat Toro, ... The same used with 2.4 Tigershark in the Compass.

As for crawl the two 4xe could drive all day long using only rear wheels in that condition with open clutches if used a DCT or an electronic clutch for a manual car.
    Even with battery low the rear wheel motor can be used, well at least that is what is in european Jeep FAQ for Renegade and Compass 4xe.

One big limitation, at least in my opinion, is that Trailhawk version have a lower lower breakover angle compared to ICE only versions.
    It should be for the Renegade, if I remember well 18° instead of 25°. ACtually there is no ICE only Trailhawk version in Europe.

Personally I would prefer previous breakover, the e-axle with a smaller battery (less expensive, lighter and better breakover angle).