NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.7L Hemi Will Live Through 2022

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by NWOHMOPAR, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Some of the current trucks have factory mod's that would push the 5.7L over 400 horsepower even though they aren't marketed that way... example Ram 1500 night edition... gets Mopar cold air intake and Mopar cat back exhaust standard... so you are tell me with a cold air intake and cat back exhaust there isn't a horsepower gain? Especially at least 5 horsepower?

Ram 1500 Night - Special Edition Truck (at http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/limited-editions/ram-1500/night/ )

As for the 5.7L in the cars, all 5.7L HEMI "Eagle" engines this year come from the factory with an SRT electronic exhaust from the 392 and a standard Mopar cold air intake... yet the horsepower and torque number's are the same.

Just something to think about..

Mopar392 and Mike V. like this.
  2. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

Yes, what Mopar has always done, underrated performance. Pretty soon the insurance is gonna go up just based on hp numbers, so ya get to have a little more fun and a little cheaper cost.

Makes me wonder how much there is left open in the 6.4 in the Heavy duty. There was lots of power left over in the V10 because of the eras transmissions. But, unfortunately the cheap upgrades of the Cummins never let the V10 really breath

3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

What I'm wondering is....From a technical standpoint.....How much life is left in the 6.4 compared to the 5.7?

If at some point the 5.7 is phased out......what would be so awful about a 6.4 with 2 cylinders lopped off? For lack of a better name, call it "the 294 V6". In theory, this "294 V6" could serve as a replacement for the 5.7 (if turbo / supercharging is used). And....it might even be less expensive to turn out than the 3.6?

It never hurts to think a bit "outside-the-box".;)

4. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

No need for a V6 when there is a good turbo 4 cylinder. Moving away from V6 engines is "outside of the box" actually.

As for V8, the Hemi will live on for specific applications, but more than likely only have one displacement instead of three.

Mike

5. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

Is there any hope for a larger V8 in the Heavy trucks...or is my worst fear going to happen and the gasoline will be gone for good and Cummins will be the only option...I would be perfectly ok with a twin turbo straight six in the powerwagon, but the heavy haulers I would like to see mds further advanced and a big V8 or a return of the V10 with a supercharger to get the power and maybe...Ok I realize I have gone to dream world...better just get a 2017 powerwagon and call it done...my wife...are you listening we better get it...sigh
    Sorry off topic but it started with the post of not having the 2 hemi engines in the 400 horse range meaning one should go to 500...sigh

6. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Member Level III Supporter

I drove a cummins powered pickup daily for 16 years. I wish I would have bought another one.

7. 12soldier

12soldier Member

Is there any chance the same Cummins in the Nissan will become available to other manufacturers or is that some sort of 10 year wait due to contractual obligations?

8. Muther

Muther Active Member

The folks with whom I had the discussion are not FCA employees. They work in the same (very diversified) company I do, and could be considered FCA highly valued vendors. Because of NDA's, they are only willing to say so much (they know I will post anything they say). So, that is some insight as to why I say less than fact.

wtxiceman likes this.
  9. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

No, the Chrysler contract for that engine went away with with bankruptcy.

Mike

12soldier likes this.
  10. Chase300

Chase300 Member

The 5.7L used in the cars/suv's would get a boost in hp/tq simply by building it with the 6.4L SRV intake.

11. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

The 5.7 eagle plastic intake is already not a bad intake and a huge improvement over the original... but There is always room for additional improvement. Note the truck intake is different.

Mike

12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

Since the Hemi will have a bit more life,
    I would also like to see them revisit the "That thing got a Hemi?" advertising campaign - with the same blokes, if they could swing it.
    It's been some years, that's true, but I think that one had some life to it. Might not be bad to hear/see it again with new situations.

somber, BEEAH and MoparMantis like this.
  13. Chase300

Chase300 Member

Correct, the Ram has one on it, which is why its at 390hp where the LX, JGC/Durango are at 360-370hp.
    But the Ram intake is too high, the 6.4L intake does fit under the LX hood and has dyno proof it provides a nice boost...but its not plug and play.
    Anyhow, they have parts in-house to improve the 5.7L now without hurting 6.4L sales IMO.

14. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Well the manual transmission cars are rated at 375...

Mike

Detonator Yellow likes this.
  15. Chase300

Chase300 Member

The real benefit is the additional TQ the 6.4L intake provides below 4600-4800 rpm's...more so than the additional HP above 4800 when it switches to the short runners.
    Just seems it would be better to just make one intake for both engines than two.
    Plus it just looks so much better under the hood....and you wouldn't need to put that big 5.7 Hemi cover on.