NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.7L Hemi Will Live Through 2022

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by NWOHMOPAR, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Member

Ahh, Thank You.
    I test drove a Scat Pack Charger as a possible replacement for my 300 and loved everything but the noise at highway speeds. It was in sport mode during the test drive. Will test drive again without sports mode on...but I pretty much came away knowing I would just go Challenger to get the 6.4L and not the Charger.

Shane Estabrooks and James A like this.
  2. Mopar392

Mopar392 Active Member

One has to wonder, how long is the cam in block design going to last?

GM and FCA USA are the only current manufacturers and users, and there is already a rumor of GM LT5 being DOHC.

3. ramajama

ramajama Member

I understand man. Just posting out of frustration. :)

4. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

I will say - any 6.4L LX vehicle, regardless of drive mode, is loud in comparison to a 5.7L Hemi equipped same vehicle. My Charger R/T came with the most timid of exhaust systems, I believe as a method to bump clients up a trim level.

James A likes this.
  5. Chase300

Chase300 Member

Yeah, I might be the only ScatPack/SRT owner to add a larger muffler...LOL!

somber likes this.
  6. EVOL

EVOL Member

I like your idea, but I'd go 425HP/420TQ and 530HP/490TQ. In the new cars with 300lbs missing they will both be rockets. R/T's in the 12's and 392's in the 11's.

7. EVOL

EVOL Member

Just put some 2011-2014 suitcase reso's on it. That era of SRT was WAY too quiet.

8. Tomguy

Tomguy Member Level 2 Supporter

I wouldn't put any stock in such a rumor. I doubt GM would want to already redesign the Camaro and Corvette to fit a larger engine under the hood. I could be mistaken - but GM has the cam-in-block V8 formula down pat. Sound, feel, revs and economy, all in what Germans would thumb their noses at as inferior tech.

After reviewing the specs of GM's and Ford's V8s in their trucks, you're likely closer to what is actually NEEDED from the "Base" V8 to be competitive. GM gets 420 HP from its 6.2. Ford gets 375 HP, but more importantly, 470 ft-lbs from its TT 3.5. The Hemi is the lowest / slowest of the "Half ton" trucks, and the 6.4 truck engine is a huge disappointment.

9. TheViking

TheViking New Member

What makes you think the 6.4 truck engine is a huge disappointment? The big issue I see with the HD gasser's is the 66RFE trans and its diesel gear ratios, not the motor. If FCA had managed to use the 8 speed instead I think it would have been a killer combination. The motor itself is built like a brick. I've read the HD block and heads were actually sourced for the Hellcat motor.

10. Tomguy

Tomguy Member Level 2 Supporter

410HP / 429 ft-lb. That's 27HP / 29 ft-lbs more than the 5.7.
    Just seems like it should be substantially higher than that. That being said, if the trans is the reason that the HD gas trucks aren't competitive, that needs attention. I looked it up and the 6.4 actually is better than GM's 6.0 and Ford's 6.2 on paper, but during testing they often best the 6.4?

ramajama and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  11. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Member

But being an owner of a 6.4 ... the torque is always there so the numbers don't seem higher but the power curve is nothing but awesome:D... it is the tranny that is the down fall.. I often wonder if the 68RFE would make a diff over the 66RFE.. to help I use tow/haul mode more often then not. Have looked up upgrades for the 66RFE and that will happen.

12. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

You have to remember the 6.4 heavy duty is designed for the long haul. It is designed for the Ram 2500 to run at full capacity for extended periods. It is not even close to the same engine in the cars.

I don't even research the other brands, but I would bet the 6.4 is much better than the reviews make it.

I drive a 99 V10 Ram and it completely out performs the 5.7 Hemi in my 2003 Ram. All day long, but if you just hope in each truck to scream around town real quick...you would say the Hemi is the better performer.

And the 6.4 was also designed to utilize MDS.

Now...7.7 l Hemi...I want that

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

That's why I upgraded to a Mopar Scat Pack Stage 1 kit, but the Borla cat back is only so loud. I cut the mid-mufflers off the other Charger and they are pretty close to the same loudness. I might cut the resonators off the other Charger too. The drone I can deal with.

James A likes this.
  14. TheViking

TheViking New Member

I doubt it, as much of the 66RFE comes straight out of the 68RFE. In my case I did replace the torque converter and update some shift parameters through a custom tune. Both of which made the trans much more likable. But you're still stuck with the same lazy (for a gas engine) trans gear ratios, particularly in the lower gears. I think swapping differential gears to 4.44 or 4.56 would probably be a very worthwhile change, but it's not cheap (especially in a 4x4). Nor would it help gas mileage. That's why the 8 speed (or something similar) can't come soon enough.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  15. Devildodge

Devildodge Member

The automatics are amazing, but the 6.4 needs to receive the Cummins 6 spd Manual.

I guarantee if your can pick your own gears, this 6.4 will haul like no other. Chevy Ford wouldn't have a chance.

This based on how much better my V10 5 spd handles my trailer than my Hemi auto, and how much better the Hemi auto handles than other auto trucks.

BRING BACK THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

But the auto is so slick with tow/haul and select a gear.

James A and Shane Estabrooks like this.