AF: '53 Cranbrook Convertible | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'53 Cranbrook Convertible

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by Julian1V, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

I am in the process of restoring a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook convertible club coupe. All was going well until the roof motor stopped working; turns out it has open circuited. The mechanic who is working on it told me that the raising mechanism is cable pulled, which surprised me. I thought Plymouths from the late '40s all had electro-hydraulic systems. Has anyone any info they could share re this? After market parts? Or back-yard inventor somewhere in the car's past? Curious to know more.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Cables may be part of the top linkage, but the online info that I see shows a hydraulic lift motor/pump and cylinders.
    Test the circuit after the relay and at the motor to confirm that the motor is, in fact what is open.
    If it is the same system as a Coronet or Windsor, Hydro-e-lectric has top parts for older vehicles. Email them to ask advice or fitment questions:
    Hydro-E-Lectric (at https://www.hydroe.com )
    Does the service manual cover convertible top wiring?

3. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Yep. Thanks for that. I checked with the restorer who checked the manual ( I am away overseas at the moment ) and confirmed what you said. Thank you very much for the link too. At the moment an old school auto electrician is looking at the motor and thinks it can be re-wound but if not, this is going to be my next step.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

A member in the DC area Chrysler Product Owners Club has a '53 Plymouth convertible. Very nice car. I can't remember his name, but you may be able to make contact through the club's Facebook page.

5. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Hi all,
    I've been away for a while because of work but am back on the restoration of the Cranbrook. Since my last post I have sorted out the roof motor issue. It is a cable drive system. No hydraulics. The Plymouth workshop manual mentions that some were built with these. I found an old-time electric motor restorer, who is rewinding the motor so I'm getting closer to a finish.
    I need some advice about the rubber seals for the rear windows, the cowl seal and the roof rail seals. I ordered and paid for a "complete" set of rubbers for the convertible. When it arrived, I was sadly disappointed. Several rubber strips were only partial fits and some were missing completely. Does anyone know of a reputable company that manufactures obscure seals like this?
    It seems as though the 53 Cranbrook convertible is an orphan when it comes to weather stripping. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

saltydog likes this.
  6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help you with the seals, but I just want to say I'm digging your car. Love the color and the white top.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Gary Goers is now Quirey Quality Design.
    Kanter may also know a source as they provide tops.
    I was a member of the WPC club for some time. A great resource for the old Mopar restoration hobby and a genuinely helpful fellowship.

8. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Thanks for that, Chuzz. It has really scrubbed up well. Just looking to get over these last few hurdles to have her on the road again.

9. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Many thanks for that. I'll give Quirey a try straight up.