AF: 6 speed manual started sticking in gear | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 speed manual started sticking in gear

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by Andy Dufresne, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Active Member

My 2010 R/T Challenger is sticking in the gear I parked it in sometimes. I have a habit of using the transmission for a parking brake. Gotta strong arm it to get out of gear to back up. Shifts fine otherwise. 50k miles on it and it has been living in the heat of the Arizona desert since 2017. Any ideas on what is going on?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Probably the simplest and cheapest thing to try first is a fluid change. The Tremec uses common ATF+4.
    There is a TSB for a squeaky, crunchy shift bushing, but there is no mention of that bushing seizing.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Two other things could be a hydraulic problem not letting the clutch disengage enough, and a worn clutch itself. Just so you know other possibilities.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Good thought. Is it hard to get out of gear with the engine stopped or running? Or doesn't it make a difference?

5. Andy Dufresne

Usually I put the clutch in and start it up and try to pull it out of gear but sometimes I try to pull it out of gear before I start it. I will guess at 1 out of 20 times it is a struggle to yank it out of the gear I parked it in. Clutch seams to operate normally.

6. ptschett

ptschett Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but this sounds a little bit like the issues I had with my 2010 Challenger R/T manual at a similar mileage point. In my case, I suspect (but can't prove) that the friction plates weren't able to slide enough on the input shaft to come sufficiently out of contact with the flywheel, floater plate, or pressure plate with the pedal fully depressed... often the clutch worked fine, but I had some instances where the clutch engagement point as the pedal was coming up was unexpectedly close to the floor, and other instances where I couldn't shift out of gear with the clutch fully depressed when stopped in a parking spot without first turning off the engine.

7. Backorder

Backorder Active Member

It won't fix the shifting right after startup problem, but park in the gear that you're going to use when you leave. Then things will have been rolling a bit when you do shift and it'll probably go more smoothly.

8. Andy Dufresne

I am training myself to put it in reverse in a parking lot, or neutral and use the parking brake.

Issue pops up more when parked on an incline, it is ok parked in the garage. Just hard to pull out of gear, once in neutral always goes into gear fine.

Clutch engagement always seems normal.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Will the vehicle roll easily in gear on a slight incline with the clutch pushed in?

10. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Not sure if this affects your issue but will the parking brake hold the vehicle tightly so that there is no pressure on the shifting mechanism if you park on a hill?

11. Andy Dufresne

yes, Rolls easy on incline with clutch pushed in , and yes parking break will hold the vehicle

12. Andy Dufresne

Ok.....I finally had the trans fluid changed. Seems crazy the stick and auto use the same ATF+4 fluid. I went with the Royal Purple Max ATF after seeing a YouTube video praising it, and bad mouthing Red Line synthetic. It did not fix the problem....still got stuck in gear the first time I parked on a slight incline...... but it seems to shift a little better up and down thru the gears. Guess I will keep up the when I park on any incline just leave it in the gear I need to leave in routine.