AF: 62TE problem | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

62TE problem

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by CirellaFamily, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It will keep the codes stored for a while even though the CEL is now off. It just means the conditions for causing the CEL to light up are not occurring now. It's entirely possible the codes are due to marginal voltage due to a weak battery, but you should have had starting issues as well (slow cranking, etc).

My Ram had the went into limp mode with the CEL coming on (codes indicated seleonoid pack needs replacement - confirmed by dealer). What I have noticed is the CEL will eventually stay off after a few days whether I drive it or not. But I'm sure the codes are still stored.

2. CirellaFamily

CirellaFamily New Member

UPDATE: I took my T&C back to the dealer (after the transmission rebuild) to have them solve this mystery problem. They had it for 1.5 weeks and could find nothing but the wires I had bypassed during my troubleshooting. I had them rewire the sensors and they then suspected the TRS(Transmission Range Sensor) switch because of the instrument cluster indication. They asked me if the Compounder was replaced during the rebuild and I informed them that it was rebuilt but not replaced. They then pull the side cover off to look at the TRS and wiring. When the pulled the cover they said that they found chips in the pan and that it looked to be coming from the Compounder. They siad the the wiring looked ok and gave me an estimate for a Compounder inspection. I called my transmission mechanic(He rebuilt this trans) and he suggested that I bring it back to him because, "you hired me to do the rebuild and I should complete the work". That kind of integrity is rare nowadays, but I digress. My trans mechanic pulled the pans and could find no evidence of chips or fuzz. He proceeded to pull the tranny and go through it to ensure no contamination existed. He then pulled the Compounder out and apart and it looked like new. He mic'd out all the components and checked for warpage but the compounder was perfect. He had another rebuild kit in his shop and he rebuilt the compounder for a second time, just to be sure. He put it back together and replaced the TRS while re-assemling it, to fix the boxes around the trans position indication on the instrument cluster. (the indication problem started after the transmission rebuild, so my trans mech said he would replace that part antway as he did not catch that problem when he test drove it after the rebuild) When he went to test drive the van, the boxes around the indicators were still there. A little frustrated he went back through what he did on the original rebuild and he noted that he had replaced the solendoid body as a possible cause for the transmission codes(P0734 & P0792) I had been getting. Since all the signals from the TRS go throught the solenoid body connector he put a new solenoid body on my transmission and this fixed the indication issue. he then test drove the van and the P0734 & P0792 codes did not reappear. He drove the van for 10-15 mile with no problems (these codes would set within 5 miles everytime before). I picked the van up on Christmas Eve and it has been working great for the last week. So it looks like the P0734 & P0792 codes were corrected by the replacement of the TRS. As unlikely as that sounds, it is the only part, that was changed, which caused a change in the trouble codes.
    If the TRS was the problem then I wonder how many remanufactured transmission were replaced for this simular issue, as a remanufactured unit would have a new TRS installed?
    $4000.00 fix for a $30.00 part?
    I am just happy that my T&C is back on the road and I will update should this problem rear it's ugly head again ;)

Edwin and Stratuscaster like this.
  3. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Happy for your results, and happier that you took the time to come back and share them with us. Kudos to you!

CirellaFamily likes this.
  4. gusc

gusc Member

You need to recommend that trans mechanic for the Transmission Mechanic's Medal of Honor:)

There may be another like him, but I doubt it!!

CirellaFamily likes this.
  5. CirellaFamily

CirellaFamily New Member

Thank you Stratuscaster.
    gusc, I agree and I am lucky to have found him. Obscure problems like this one can challenge the best of us ;)
    He deserves the Charles Taylor Award

6. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Feel free to promote him here. I much prefer giving my money to someone like that.

7. Ray Green

Ray Green Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!

That is scary! :eek:

#27 Ray Green, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  8. Zack Bolin

Zack Bolin Member

I'm having a similar problem, myou 2009 t&c is going into limp mode but I've got no codes engine or trans, the solenoid packs have been replaced, trans temp sensor replaced, wiring gone through from computer to transmission, good battery, good alternator no spiking voltage, new plugs and I'm losing my mind! Anyone with any good ideas?

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Generally whenever the transaxle enters 'limp-in', a fault code is left behind and stored in the TCM portion of the powertrain module.
    Some scan tools and OBDII engine code readers can only read engine codes and not transaxle codes. Make sure that you have a compatible diagnostic tool or try another more advanced tool. Sometimes paying the diagnostic fee will give you the right answer and a repair direction to pursue. Use only ATF+4 or a fluid that meets Chrysler MS-9602.
    I wouldn't replace any more parts until this can be diagnosed properly.

10. Two Alpha

Two Alpha New Member

Just signed up today, partially to express my appreciation for this thread. I'm researching a problem my sister is having with her 2010 Dodge Journey, it is intermittently not starting unless the shifter is moved to neutral. It can then be started in neutral or will also start if shifted back into park. What I've read so far points to that same transmission range sensor.

11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Make sure that the shift cable is adjusted properly first. It should be firmly 'spring-loaded' towards Park. All the other gear range selections should fall into place accurately after the adjustment.

12. Two Alpha

Two Alpha New Member

Thank you, I'll check that out.

13. TaxiGirl

TaxiGirl Active Member

What happened to link above? It says it is not found.

14. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That post was from 2014. The link is no longer valid.
    Try this:
    i2303877.png
    Item #1 and the 2 items listed as #2 are the 62TE input, output and transfer speed sensors.

15. Two Alpha

Two Alpha New Member

Thanks for the tip on the shift cable adjustment ImperialCrown, solved the issue and a very simple fix.

16. CirellaFamily

CirellaFamily New Member

Update: 2.5 years later my T&C is running great, or more importantly shifting great!! I hope my ordeal has helped at least one other or at the very least made for an enjoyable read.

Doug D likes this.
  17. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

18. ray49

ray49 New Member

Your postings described my 2011 VW Routan (basically a T&C) issues exactly, thank you.
    I am a little confused about the exact part however. I looked for the Range Sensor and different sites have different pictures of it.
    Is there any way you could give a part number or a link so I know I'm getting the right part?
    Thanks again

19. georgef

georgef Well-Known Member

The part number is 68055955AA.

It's item 11 in the diagram at this link: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com

20. ray49

ray49 New Member