NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

62TE Ultrastar & 2013 Caravan

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by Mo Power, Feb 5, 2017.

1. RLSH700

RLSH700 New Member

Which ones are considered to be the early vs. the later ones? Trust me, I am part of the ATF+4 only chorus. Is there any problem with doing the 30K mile transmission flushes with ATF+4 that I have always done with our 41TE & 42LEs? When they start shifting harsher is the transmission flush and the software upgrades the fix to it?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

Since the bankruptcy, quality of almost everything got better. It was do or die. Research & development (improvement) money was tight under Daimler and Cerberus. Morale took a big hit also.
    Flushes are OK, but the service manual still says that a pan-drop is the recommended procedure. The can of cleaner that they pour in to 'dissolve' the debris before the flush seems bogus to me. I want to actually see the filter and magnet.
    For a 2013 (for example) there is a recent PCM/TCM update (TSB# 18-050-16A) to help shift harshness (among other things). Any PCM/TCM service, like a flash update is generally covered under the Federal extended 8/80 warranty.
    A minivan flash update discussion:
    New flash for PCM available (at http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/112522-New-flash-for-PCM-available/page10?s=84ddf41601a6a846ae3db363eae32fde )

3. georgef

georgef Member Level III Supporter

The 5th gen Grand Caravan manual has a change schedule for both "severe-duty" and "normal service":

From the 2017 Grand Caravan owners manual:

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. Ray Green

Ray Green Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!

I have a 2014 with the 62TE and we were experiencing harsh axle engagements (when going from P to D or R), erratic upshifts, and also the throttle seemed extra sensitive to the point of "jerky". When I took it in for service I asked my service writer to do any updates that were free as our 3/36 has expired. They did, cost me nothing, and made a big difference in the drive-ability of the van.

ImperialCrown, ka9yhd and Doug D like this.
  5. DC-93

DC-93 Member

Wasn't it still under the 5 year - 100K powertrain warranty ?

6. Mo Power

Mo Power New Member

I finally had the chance to do the 18-099-15 update. Wow, what a difference. I've spent quite a bit eyeballing what they have done (At least for part throttle situations) and what I've noticed is that the torque converter clutch (TCC) slips most of the way through 4th. Before it would clamp down (I'm guessing 100%) almost as soon as the trans upshifts into 4th.

This is probably best for longetivity, but because there is such a horrible jump from 3rd to 4th, they have "corrected" for this by (only) partially engaging the TCC, effectively shortening the 4th ratio through most of the gear.

I don't recall 5th ever slipping before, but now, it seems the TCC slips a little bit into 5th. Again, this might wear the TCC more than before, but it corrects for another (way too tall) jump from 4th into 5th. If I remember right, it doesn't cinch down (Go full lock) until about 47mph, which is about 2000 rpm.

What all of this means to me is that Dodge has done the most they can (electronically) with the funky gearing of the 62te. It is, about a million times better than before in drivability. My only complaint now, is that once committed to 5th gear, it needs quite a bit of throttle to downshift into 4th. I'm sure that is done for emissions, and I'm going to have to live with it.

Thanks again for the mention of the flash update. My dealer did it as part of the 8/80. They told me it would not have been covered by the 5/100 (Which is complete BS if you ask me) but nevertheless it is done.

Now I need to figure out why the battery went dead mysteriously overnight.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Member

We have not had any issues with our 2010 GC with the 4.0 the tranny works great, shifts good and works good cruising highway in eco mode. we have about 100,000 kms. Knock on wood