Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

63 - 64 Chrysler

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by saltydog, Jan 28, 2015.

1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I am going to look at 63 or 64 Chrysler 4 Dr Hardtop on my lunch hour and wanted to get some thought's as to what I should be looking for. The car is sitting in a lot with other old cars and looks to be rather original.

I does not look like it has been driven, but still complete.

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

The taillights are different between the model years -- the '63s had round ones, while the '64s were more of a trapezoid shape.

One of the first places I look at a used vehicle is underneath -- you'll want to check for rust, and also for any indications that it may have been run roughshod over bumpy gravel roads, or even rocky property with no roads.

Peer down the side of the body from the front and the rear on both sides. If the panels aren't lined up right, or if it has some rippling that indicates bondo, this indicates that the body had been repaired, perhaps due to an accident, or to fill in rust holes. You might take a rubber magnet with you to check the usual rust spots.

For that vintage, you'll want a complete interior. When you open the door, take a good whiff -- if it smells damp or mildewed, it could have been in a flood, and should therefore be avoided.

The engine and drivetrain are also pretty important. Check the fluids and carb. The 361 2-bbl got reasonable gas mileage in larger models, but it was only available in the Newports. If it's a New Yorker, it should have a 413 4-bbl, if original. I think the 300 Sport came standard with a 383. I don't think that the VIN had an engine code that far back.

3. saltydog

Thanks for the input.

I took a look, but not as god as I would have hoped, as the car is behind a fence and the owner was not around. I called and left him a message, hopefully he will get back to me.

From what I can see, the car is 1964 Chrysler 300 4dr HT. Looks to have never been repainted or repaired. There are few dings and the rear bumper is a bit tweaked. All the trim looks to be there. No visible rust on the lower part of the car, just some very light surface rust on the top, hood and trunk. Most likely from the paint getting thin. The car does not look like it has been driven in 20 plus years, but it must of been in covered storage during that time, as if it was exposed directly to the elements for that long, it would be very poor shape. Not sure what the condition of the engine is, I suspect its going to need a good refresh, Carb rebuilt, seals and gaskets, hoses, belts.

I will report back once a hear from the owner.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Also look around the edges of the windows all the way around, they tend to rust in these places, and where any of the chrome attaches on the sides. Check plastic condition, this age tends to start cracking and spidering, some are difficult to find depending on what model Chrysler.

5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

where are you located, this makes difference in the amount of rust where I live in the phoenix area rust is not common but if it is in a area that has a lot of rain sitting on bare ground could cause a lot of rust issues.

6. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

7. saltydog

In central CA, so almost no rain.

8. saltydog

9. Scrounge

Does the car have a price? The 300K is collectible, but the car you saw is the base 300, and if the seller tries to pass it off as a more-expensive letter car, maybe you should pass. It might be worth a bit more than the Newport and New Yorker 4-door hardtop, even though it's essentially the same car. If it hasn't been started in some time, the gas is probably bad, and the tank might be rusted inside. When you look at it, open the gas cap and check the neck for rust. The tank can be boiled out or replaced, but either adds an expense to your cost. Here's a price guide:

http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1964-Chrysler-300

This appears to be for examples in at least #3 condition; restorable should be much lower.

10. Scrounge

The Standard Catalog of Chrysler provided some more information. The base 300 was no longer called Sport starting with the '64 model year. For '64 specifications, 11,460 300 4-door hardtops were built. Its base engine was the 383 with a 2-barrel Carter carburetor (3685S) rated at 305 brake horsepower. The 413 was optional. The VIN (called serial number then) is on a metal plate near the hinge on the left front door post. It should have a V38 prefix for the 383 engine, or a V41 prefix for the 413. The number itself will start with 8243, followed by 6 digits (starting with 1) for the sequential production number. The 8 is the make, 2 is the model, 4 is the year, and 3 is the factory (Detroit Jefferson -- another source says it could be 6 for Delaware).

Options for the Newport and 300 that year included push-button automatic transmission, power steering, brakes, windows and door locks. Power seats weren't available for the 300 (though a special order could perhaps have changed that). Only the 300 offered a console, and leather trim was only available in the 300 and New Yorker Salon. Heater/defroster, air conditioning, heavy-duty suspension and brakes, adjustable steering, and seat belts were optional across the board. A 4-speed manual transmission was also available.

A special edition 300 with silver paint and a black vinyl roof and black vinyl or leather interior went on sale during the spring. All '64 Chryslers appear to have had a slight tailfin, maybe an inch or two tall, atop the rear fenders. The headlight design was changed on the '64 Newport and New Yorker, but retained the '63 look on the 300.

Tire size was 8.00 x 14. Rear axle ratios available were 3.23:1, 3.91:1 and 2.76:1. The compression ratio for the 383 was 10.1:1. I'm guessing this means that it used premium; consult the owner's manual. Perhaps you can get by with mid-grade. You might want to find out if it's been adapted to run on unleaded gas. An oil change will take 6 quarts when you change the filter.

Condition being equal, all of my price guides put the 300 value between the Newport and New Yorker, with the New Yorker Salon the highest, in the 4-door hardtop body style. In real life, the 300 might be more desirable because of the name.

11. saltydog

Thank you so much for all the info! This is great!

As for the car, I still have not heard back from the owner, I guess he is not too interested in selling? Not sure, I may go back and take a look again and see if I can make contact with the owner.

12. Scrounge

Regarding value, there's not much difference between the models in the 4-door hardtop body style. They're all lower than the 2-door hardtops, and much lower than convertibles. Perhaps you can use this in your negotiations; you were looking for a 2-door, but spotted this.

It's possible the owner doesn't like communicating on the phone. Perhaps he's out of town/state. Or maybe you just got a wrong number. Whatever the reason, you may be right that you'll have to catch him on the property. Good luck; it reads like an interesting car.

13. saltydog

I will try and catch you with him again, the car is still sitting.

14. Scrounge

saltydog likes this.
  15. saltydog

That is not a bad looking car, it looks rather good, yet the ad states that the car needs work, but does not specify what is needed, Humm.

The only think I am not a fan of is the hood scoop, that would have to go, ASAP! Yuck!

16. Scrounge

The Polara's body looks straight. The ad says it starts quick and shifts smooth, so don't know what mechanical issues it has. There were no pics of the interior, so I'm guessing that's where it needs some work. Can't tell if that's a hood scoop or some object behind the car or a shadow, but agreed, if it's a hood scoop, it detracts. Don't know where you'd find a replacement hood. He says to call with any questions, and that might be one of them. I like that body style.

The '62 Newport is a sedan -- I thought you wanted a hardtop. It definitely needs paint, plus it looks like wires are hanging under the instrument panel. The desert heat bakes cars there, so expect interior problems. Looks like it's parked next to a Valiant. My brother lives about 5 miles from there -- I'll ask him about the place.

17. saltydog

I do want a Hard Top, but I am open to the sedan, it looks good too. I like the fact that the 62' has factory A/C so I can over look the fact that it is not a hard top.

I showed my wife the Polara, she not liking it that much, but maybe I can persuade her.

18. Scrounge

My brother replied: "It's Desert Valley Auto Parts. The have a show called Desert Car Kings on Discovery channel. They find an old car and fix it up then sell it at an auction place not much farther away. I went by it once but didn't go in. It is a huge place. Located at 7th Ave north of Pinnacle Peak but can only get to it from Happy Valley...That car is a project car before it becomes a driver." Happy Valley has traffic circles instead of stoplights at the interstate exit intersections, so I avoid it whenever I go. Here are two price guides for '62 Newports:

http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1962-Chrysler-Newport

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1962/Chrysler/Newport/4-Door-Sedan/Values

Looks like he's asking a reasonable price, IF it's running. However, it's probably not profitable enough to restore, and it looks like it needs work.

Your wife's opinion is a very important consideration. At the very least, she'll see whatever you buy every day, and she may ride in or drive it. If she doesn't like the Polara, that will be a source of complaints if you buy it.

So, back to the '64 300. I had another thought: maybe your message wasn't clear enough. When I advertise, I'll occasionally receive a message with the phone # partially garbled. Do you know if this is a business? If so, you'll more likely speak live to the seller if you call during business hours. If not, after hours and weekends might work. Or, if there's a place to leave a note, you might try that.

Found this page with some pics of the Dodge 880:

http://hooniverse.com/2010/11/28/ho...ion-the-magnificent-1962-64-dodge-custom-880/

19. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I live by them and they want a lot of money for some of their cars, their reputation is so so.