Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

63 - 64 Chrysler

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by saltydog, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

What speed does it shift into 2nd at light throttle ?

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I forgot -- did you rebuild this transmission, or use another one? Two possibilities come to mind. First, you have a push-button selector, and may have connected the drive and second buttons wrong. The other is a clogged valve body, which may just need cleaning, but could need replacing.

Is the fluid clear and red?

3. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Around 25mph, which I think is too high. Going to look at the linkage again.

4. saltydog

That trans was rebuilt, so everything should be good inside. Fluid is good and clean as well.

As for the Selector, we spent a lot of time getting that adjusted. We used the service manual for this and we got almost perfect using the test light on the neutral safety switch.

5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

All I remember is the trans shift points are controlled by the linkage from the trans to the carb. Have you tried moving the linkage to different spots?

6. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Definitely too high for light throttle. Linkage from carb to transmission wrong . Multi step process . With carb at low idle (choke off), insert 3/16th inch rod about 10 inches long into the belcrank/lever. Loosen the locknut on rod to transmission and pull transmission lever forward and tighten. Disconnect the accelerator pedal rod and adjust the pedal angle between 113 & 115 degrees and reconnect. remove rod and loosen locknut on rod going to the carb. Lengthen until you feel the transmission lever contact the end of its throw. tighten locknut and you should be adjusted.

saltydog likes this.
  7. saltydog

Thank you, this was helpful and now she is working great.

8. saltydog

Well I was planning to take the car to the car show in Van Nuys, however the charging system is no longer working and there is a fuel leak.

I need a break from this car, starting to make me crazy.o_O

9. saltydog

Got the fuel leak fixed. Now I have to tackle the charging system, thinking it is the voltage regulator, however can't keep the car running long enough to test the charging system. I am loosing the ignition intermittently. Not sure what is going on, so that is where I am at.

10. Scrounge

Starter relay? Ballast resistor? Or it could be a short.

11. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If it starts and runs for a while , these are not the issue . More likely it is an open in the circuit. Or possibly carb goes empty .

12. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Try bypassing the key ( hot wire it ) and see if it runs.

13. saltydog

So we did some more trouble shooting today, we have ignition, so all is good there. However there is no fuel in the carb, fuel pump is pumping and we have great pressure, so there must be something plugging the carb, going send it to a shop and have it rebuilt.

14. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If it is bypassed without a ballast resistor in line , you will burn the points .

15. saltydog

Going to be installing the rebuilt carb today, will see if that fixed the issue.

Then on to figuring out the charging system.

16. Scrounge

Installing the carb is fairly simple on your car. I hope it solved your problem, sending it to a shop isn't cheap these days.

The charging system should also be pretty straightforward. The shop manual should have a diagram.

17. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Charging circuit is easy. you should have a regular regulator with two wires going to it. Dark blue should be hot with the ignition on and dark green going to the alternator field terminal. MAKE SURE REGULATOR IS GROUNDED BY MOUNTING BOLT. With engine running, check for voltage at the field terminal of the alternator. If voltage is present, it should be charging (above an idle). Not charging with voltage, replace alternator. No voltage, check regulator.

1963 chrysler voltage regulator - Google Search

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1963/63ChryslerB.JPG

18. saltydog

My dad rebuilt the carb, accelerator pump was plugged with debris.

So now I need to grind a fuel line from the pump the carb, it has small crack..& I am not have a good time locating a pre-fabricated one for my car. (Why could I not just have a Road Runner)

Now I have intermittent spark/ignition, so car is still not running. Part of the problem is the rebuilt distributor, just a POS, so between the old one and new one we made one good one. Should solve the issue.

19. Scrounge

Until you find one, you might cut the line where it leaks and install a rubber fuel hose with secure clamps.

20. saltydog

It is cracked on the flange to fuel pump.