Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

63 - 64 Chrysler

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by saltydog, Jan 28, 2015.

1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

So one thing that I have noted while driving the car this past weekend, at about 1/4 throttle, she seems to hesitate a little, not bad, but noticeable. So while cruising at 40 mph or so in 3rd gear, you can really notice it. So for now I guess I just have to drive faster.:)

Also WOT is not great either, she tends to bog a bit. However that is not much of an issue, as that is not how I drive.

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Your timing might be off, or maybe your carb needs adjusting.

3. saltydog

I am leaning towards the Carb, but we just rebuilt it so I hope is not the issue. The timing could be a bit off, we have a had a devil of time with the distributor. I bought a rebuilt unit, as the old one was not in the best condition and we have just had not the best of luck with any of it.

Going to look into a electronic ignition setup for it when fund are available

4. Scrounge

For your sake, I hope it's something simple. If you have a dwell/tach unit, perhaps it could help. When you rebuilt the carb, how did you adjust the two screws at the bottom facing the front? On the AFB, with the engine running, you turn one of them clockwise until it's about to stall, then back it out maybe 1/4 turn, then do the same with the other screw. Another problem could be the ethanol in the gas, which might mean it will need a rebuild as often as it needs a tune-up (but I hope not).

Any rebuilt part can be chancy. I don't recall problems with rebuilt distributors, but I also don't recall replacing more than 2 of them in my life. At least yours is in front, easy to reach. The dwell should indicate whether your points are gapped correctly. Maybe they need replacing already. Sometimes, the vacuum hose coming off the advance might be the culprit, but didn't you replace that, too? Your advance might be adjustable with a very small Allen wrench. Also, check vacuum hoses throughout the engine. I had to replace a vacuum tree on a truck several years ago. I don't know if your car has one of those, though; if so, it might only have 1 or 2 hoses going into it.

How are the gas lines? And the gas filter? And the fuel pump? If you notice any leaks, or even deterioration, a replacement may be in order.

5. saltydog

New Fuel lines, cleaned out the gas tank, new fuel tank pick up, new fuel pump and three new filter(been changing them out, just to be safe) I will take a gander at adjusting the Carb, that is more of my Dads expertise, he knows them very well.

For the distributor, the Vacuum advance was not functioning, so that is one of the reasons I replaced, have new points as well. Also have new vacuum lines to the distributor and carb as well.

On a plus note, the car starts right up, so unusual for a Chrysler. One pump of the gas after she has been sitting and boom, fires right up.

Going to take some extra parts with me and I have AAA on the car, so we should be covered for the trip.

6. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Make sure you keep a spare ignition resistor with you. And the tools needed to change it. A spare coil wire and rotor. A good spare tire. Extra fuses. Oil, ATF, P.S. fluid? Check R.E. lube and tire pressure. Enjoy!

I'd get a dwell meter to check/set the points; and THEN set the timing with the vac hose off. Rev the engine to 2500 RPM to see if the centrifical advance is working. Maybe electronic ignition in the future?

saltydog likes this.
  7. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Many time a hesitation like you are talking about come from a non-working or mis-adjusted accelerator pump. Could be also that your exhaust passage under the carb is filled with carbon. and/or the heat riser valve is stuck open.

saltydog and Scrounge like this.
  8. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I would replace the distributor with a Chrysler electronic ignition , you can find them in wrecking yards or on ebay for cheap. And they are not that hard to install. I am not talking about the conversion kits but taking one off a engine.

saltydog likes this.
  9. saltydog

Well we made it! Really no issues once we got going, however on the way to get gas this morning, the charging system quit charging

Turn out to be the new regulator had gone bad...they don't make things all that well anymore.

valiant67 likes this.
  10. saltydog

One other thing, my upper window trim flew off........just one more part to find...

11. saltydog

Here a few pictures of the events.

[​IMG]
    My car was the only 64' Chrysler this year, I think the rain that came early in the morning kept some folks away.

Here a few odd on ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scrounge likes this.
  12. saltydog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't see these fuel injection badges very often
    [​IMG]

Wide Body Cherokee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#232 saltydog, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  13. saltydog

Super clean Magnum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. saltydog

Very unique 71' Cuda with factory orange seats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love the color of this Hellcat.
    [​IMG]

Scrounge likes this.
  15. saltydog

Here is a few shots of the show and swap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found this cool little truck in the swap, must be from the early 90's.
    [​IMG]

Here is what I did to prevent more trim from flying off..
    [​IMG]

We hit some heavy traffic...the day before Spring Break, it was bad! The car handled it just fine, no over heating or issue.
    [​IMG]

valiant67 likes this.
  16. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Hey, thanks for the pictures, nice to see there are still enthusiasts out there!

saltydog likes this.
  17. saltydog

It is! This show they put is a good one. Not many Chrysler only shows around.

18. saltydog

I forgot to mention that my MPG was 12.6 for the trip(400 miles), that seems acceptable to me or should it be better?

19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

IT does seem a little low, would figure something in the 15-16mpg range. Might be running a little rich or the needle step is a little bit fat.

saltydog likes this.
  20. Scrounge

Nice pics of some nice cars! The Imperial to the right of your car is also a '64, though you could have meant specifically the Chrysler make. Good to read your New Yorker made the entire trip.

I saw that Hemi Cuda at a Mopar show in Phoenix more than 25 years ago. If it's a matching numbers car, it's one of only 7 Hemi Cudas built for the '71 model year.

As for mileage, that's low for a freeway trip, but around normal for stop-and-go traffic. The ethanol in the gas adversely affects mileage, and seems to affect carbureted cars worse than fuel-injected ones. I'm guessing you're using premium, so mileage should be a concern due to its higher price.

saltydog likes this.