AF: '64 A100 "Dogvan" | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'64 A100 "Dogvan"

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Dawgboy, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Dawgboy

Dawgboy New Member

Hi folks. Wanted to show off my new toy. This is a 1964 Dodge A100 Van with the Slant 173ci and 3 speed transmission. This one was first a Ma Bell van and then was bought by the Palomar Mounain Observatory in 1969, where it was used in the facility as a grounds maintenance van. Slowly between 1970 and 1998 the letters fell off the back until it said D O G. In 1999 It was retired, just a few years after a complete rebuild of the engine, tranny, and rear end. I estimate there is 10k miles and 10 years on that rebuild. Total actual miles on the van are 93k I bought her last summer for $50.00 and drove her home where she has sat until I get a new fuel filler hose and some replacement wiring in her.

Plans are to replace all the rubber, all the wiring, knock all the dents out and get some decent paint. then Interior will be done up as a camper van. Follow along as I get started this spring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should mention I am looking for parts.

Headlight bezels, door hardware, a set of clean back doors, window latches, dash parts, original mirrors Tail light lenses.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Should be a fun project, and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to updates.

3. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit

Neat find!!! I'll be watching this thread!!

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Man, you can't beat that deal with a stick. Next time I go to Pull-A-Part, I'll see if they have anything like it. I kind of doubt it though as they usually keep a vechicle for 120 days before the crush them.

5. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit

Sadly, my local wrecking yard shut down.....They had one like that. If I only had the money......

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Just for the heck of it, I checked the Nashville Pull-A-Part inventory. They don't have anything that old in the yard. Sorry bout that.

7. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I know of what you speak of there...........

20+ years ago, A series vans 'littered' the SoCal Pick-A-Parts. Not anymore. The best Mopar van analogy today would be 1995 down Caravans/Voyagers; lots of 'em in the same type of wrecking yard but they are definitely starting to get thin on the road around here (Phx area).

8. Dawgboy

Dawgboy New Member

After a year of un(der) employment, I can finally get back to work on this beast. I have re done the fuel lines tank sending unit and the filler assembly, replacing the impossible to find 90 degree 2" rubber elbow with a stainless one I fabbed from a Turbo charger part and 2" rubber fuel hose. Next is a new wiring harness as the ammeter melted down the harness. I had done the bypass but it stopped working.

I have done a LOT of research but nobody seems to make or stock a harness for the A100/108. I looked at the Painlees mopar harness, but it's over $400.00 and not specifically listed to fit. Anybody have suggestions on where I can get a harness?

You can read all about this van at a thread I have been updating on another forum here:

[URL="http://zombiehunters.org/foru...ehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=65442[/url]

9. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

Heh... the Misery Machine... Makes me chuckle...

10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Your wiring diagram should be the same or close to a truck of the same year. You don't have that many wires to begin with, Painless wiring is not one of my favorite systems, pretty much gives you a box of stuff you should already have in the van.