Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 Chrysler 300 rear brakes

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Gdude40, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Gdude40

Gdude40 New Member

Anyone have tips on how to remove rear drums on 64 Chrysler 300 with old style 8 3/4 rearend?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Wouldn't it be the same as any drum brake? Jack up car, remove wheel, loosen brake adjustment and pull drum?

3. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

This was a 2012 post. Can one of the masters restore it? It will be hard to find one unless you find person active in brakes in the late 60's or before. Best ones were made by OTC and Snap-on.

5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was a "trick" to it. I many cases they haven't been removed for years so they are "frozen" on. I have always used a hammer to hammer them off on a couple realy tough ones had to use a torch to loosen them up.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The puller is gentler on the wheel bearings than a sledge hammer. Start the nut back onto the axle threads so the puller center screw doesn't mushroom the threaded axle end.
    Also if the drum suddenly releases with some force, it won't pop off and possibly injure you. Wear safety glasses.

Bearhawke and saltydog like this.
  8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I always turned the nut over to protect the castle part and give the end of the threads even more protection.

saltydog and ImperialCrown like this.
  9. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Mopar Tapered Axle Brakes (at http://hotrodsandhemis.com/TaperedAxleBrakes.html )

71Charger_fan and Bob Lincoln like this.
  10. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Having mushroomed the end of a tapered axle trying to pull a drum, I can say from experience that it's important to have that nut on when cranking on the puller. Since I damaged that axle, I also put a washer between the puller pressure screw and the axle end/nut

Bearhawke likes this.