Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'64 D100 rear axle seal

Discussion in 'Power Wagon' started by gearhead, Jan 27, 2015.

1. gearhead

gearhead Well-Known Member

I know this forum is for Power Wagons, but I'm guessing some (or most) of you have more experience with the tapered axle 8-3/4" rearends.
    I'm kinda baffled. On my 1964 D100 how does the rear outer wheel seal, seal anything? It doesn't appear to "seal" against anything on it's OD. At least the ones on my truck don't, and the ones that I ordered don't. The outer axle bearing race sits flush with the axle housing flange (where the brake backing plate mounts) so it can't seal to the ID of the housing flange. According to a 1962 Motors Manual that I have the seal is supposed to install in the backing plate (Motors calls it a brake support). None of the seals listed by the parts houses have dimensions that would allow them to work for my truck.

The ID of the brake backing plate (brake support in Motors Manual terminolology) is 2.505" and the OD of the seal is 2.443". The seal just spins with the axle.

Any ideas, solutions, or advice?

2. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Just curious, after many months and no replies, how you made out. Perhaps you posted in another section? thanks.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

4. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Thanks, 'I C'