AF: 64 dodge dart bulkhead connectors | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 dodge dart bulkhead connectors

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by BBird, Nov 10, 2012.

1. BBird

BBird New Member

Hi , im new to forum , I have a question for my friend. He has a 64 dodge dart , he wants to replace some of the conn pins in the bulkhead. He found female ones and found out you depress a tab to release them from the bulkhead.
    The male one has him stumped , how do you remove it ? thanks

2. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Is he building a pure stock restoration? If he is not concerned with originality, he should seriously consider eliminating the bulkhead connector altogether, and use terminal strips or an aftermarket wiring system. The old bulkhead systems are very prone to problems, and actully run full charge current through one terminal, which is a no no. Sorry I cannot answer your question.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I believe the male terminals are molded into the connector, they won't be replaceable. I'd rewire the system with different connectors.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

They are not moulded into the plastic, they are removable. If you look at the connection side where the female enters the terminal, there is a small little groove. Take a paper clip and flatten or file a flat on it to make it thin enough, then push the electrical wire into the plastic then slide the paper clip into the groove, there is a little tab that will depress and the wire will then pull out the back. NAPA carries the proper connections in boxes and are not on display, and to prevent there being problems in the future, dielectric grease is the best thing to help prevent them from corroding and getting water contamination due to its location.

5. BBird

BBird New Member

yes we can get the female apart but the male has no tab to depress

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

It's there, If you have some kind of spare in a connector, yank it out, look at it and reverse engineer to get them out, I did my whole 68 Charger this way so I know for a fact they come out.

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Connectors that lock in this way usually have a small tang that's not obvious. It will dig in at an angle to prevent the male tab from being pulled toward the backside of the connector.