Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

66 cuda' with 318/340 HiPo cam and heads,won't run right,HELP!!

Discussion in 'Performance' started by john slawsky, Nov 7, 2015.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

We may never know - he hasn't been back since the first day he posted.

DC-93 likes this.
  2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, never like to hear that your compression is down to around 7.3:1 and a big cam in there, yeah, it will do fine until you get her under power and sound pretty good, and talk about doing fine on the top end, similar to having too big a cam, wind her up and she purges fine, just have to get there first. Total timing in by 1800 is a problem, should be around 2800 for small blocks, 3200 for big blocks, and can't adjust the carb is running too rich, period. Pretty simple.

3. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Agree totally. I cannot imagine driving anything these days with lumpy camshaft. Best to have throttle response from off-idle to 5000 as opposed to (between) 2500 and 6500. Much more fun. If not mentioned already, my standard procedure is to have engine idling at 8 or 900, timing at +8 or 10 and then read off on vacuum gauge. If under 10 inches, it simply won't be fun to drive in stop and go traffic. The low-speed circuit gets all messed-up and it can no longer be tuned simply with a screwdriver.
    Hopefully 'O.P.' will post an update (eventually).
    The rest of you have a great New Years! - and all the best in '16.

4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Compression is too low for that big a bump stick. If its automatic you need a high stall torque converter and at least 3.90 diff no matter what trans you have. Clutch flite or a 4 speed GM trans built to neutral start, tires need to spin or you will crunch drive train. Will be tough on rear springs and mounting points. idle set to a point above stalling in gear. Small 4bbl should be good for a good launch and that's it. Thermo quad or quadrojet carb with drag kits would be better. You need to go to someone who can set that system up. Try talking to guys at drag strip. That setup is not a cruiser unless you like lumpy idle. Need hot ignition with long duration, mopar set might not be best, stock distributor cap no good. If it has points you are asking for drivability issues. Good luck have fun. I love the smell of unburned gas in the morning.

5. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

If I May..... Check your timing case cover and make sure the timing marks arn't in the opposite side to the model of the engine.
    earlier LA have the timing marks on the right hand side of the engine and later ones have the marks on the left side,,,,,, Just sayin

6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Yet another "one post ghost"... lol....

I have found its best to not reply if you expect an answer from these guys. Life is too short to waste time. Ok, off my soap box and back to work! :cool: