AF: 69, 70 4 door dart with factory 340 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

69, 70 4 door dart with factory 340

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by voiceofstl, Feb 4, 2015.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

A friend told me you could in 1969 and 1970 order your 4 door dart with the 340. He said his uncle had one.
    I never heard of this but alot of Novas had 350's.
    Now that I think about it why couldn't you?
    Has anyone ever seen one?

2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Yep...................a buddy of mine bought a new 1970 4-door Dart, taxi-cab yellow with a 4-speed..................blackwall tires...............baby hubcaps...................black interior..................a bare bones car. What a sleeper:cool:.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Sorry......................just remembered it came with a 3 speed on the floor. I will try to find some data to back it up.

4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The Hamtramck page says the 340 is only available in the 1970 Dart Swinger 340. N/A on other models. For 1969 is says it is on on GT Sport and Swinger 340.

I would appear a 318 is the largest engine offered in a 4 door. But Chrysler did make some cars they said they would not. Such a car could exist (a 340 powered 4 door) but I would be skeptical unless it had the proper VIN and data tags present.

6. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

What was the AHB code engine at that time? Or was that 75&76?

7. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Lots of strange things out there in all the automotive world, Mopars are no exception. 6 pack rods in stock 440s, performance cams in 2bbl engines, higher compression pistons all over the place. Best one I have mentioned before was the 340 TA block (4bolt mains) in a station wagon (stock, never worked on to the best of my knowledge). Curtis Redgap, in his multi-article stories from several years back, noted a car painted a non-Mopar (Tbird) color. Given all the components bolted together very easy back then (LA/B-RB families), drop the part in, or add it to the line to install, and away you go, much simpler back then.

8. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

The 340 T/A block with 4 bolt mains in the station wagon must have been "worked on" as none were factory equipped with 4 bolt mains even in AAR's and T/A's.

Thanks
    Randy

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I agree, but it was there. The guy owned a junkyard, liked racing Mopars, pulled the engine for his 69 Barracuda and couldn't believe what he had. He knew the owner of the station wagon and the wagon had never been touched (it got rear ended, I think), just one of those freak things and I believe it was completely legitimate (albeit rare). Many a conversation about that block and that car, and at the time (1980-1981 timeframe), didn't even know Mopar made a 4 bolt main block (so the rare conversation was part of it at the time, later figured out the TA thing).

10. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

On allpar it has been documented there was at least 4 4 door coronets that were made with hemis. What I remember of the article it was a regilar ordering code but not well known.
    So if you could order your 4 door coronet with a hemi why not a dart with a 340?

11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

And look at all the rare 'cuda combinations, one of one, one of six, one of seven, oddities are out there. How about a rare combination, like rear window defogger and radio delete and two speed windshield wiper in a 68 Charger 383 4bbl. Or what about the half dozen or so slant six early Chargers? Oddballs exist.

AHBGuru likes this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The thing is unless you find one of these 340 4 door cars, there is probably no way to prove one exists. I don't think Chrysler ever admitted they built 4 door Hemi cars, but yet they exist. Same thing here - you'll probably have to find one to prove it exists.

13. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

There's no doubt about the 4 dr Hemi's, as they are documented.
    Rare option combinations are one thing, but 4 bolt 340 blocks in a production car, let alone a station wagon.....

Thanks
    Randy

14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

OTOH: by 1975; the only way to get a 440 Magnum in the B body was to order a 4 door police package; apparently, no 2 door coupes came through with anything above the 400-4V.

I would think it was possible to special order a 340 in at least the 1968-70 Dodge Dart 4 door sedan since it and the two door hardtop had the same wheelbase hence all of the undercarriage bits being identical.

A-925 HEMI likes this.
  15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

This car existed because I was there when he ordered it and got it. Both of us worked for over 40 years each at the Chrysler Engineering Centers in Highland Park and Auburn Hills Michigan. Basically if you knew somebody in production you could get anything built. Many stories of upper level and middle level management "walking the line" watching their cars get built with whatever they wanted or needed. That's why there are so many oddities out there.

Also, at the end of the engine model run the plants always had leftover parts and pieces which ended up in the following years engines until they were used up. Good example was the paint. Those years when we were switching from red to blue to orange engine colors they just used up the previous years paint before they started using the current color. Nothing was going to be thrown away.

I remember when they were changing the compression ratios with new pistons and cylinder heads in the early 70's. Engineering always got some of the first built engines to be tested on the dyno's to see if they were up to advertised specs. Power runs were made etc and there were times when they were torn down after testing and you would see where the piston kissed the heads. Ooops...............wrong pistons or heads were installed on the engine.

AHBGuru likes this.
  16. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Eddie, I'm curious if your friend ordered the 1970 Dart 4 door, 340 through a regular dealer ??
    Did Chrysler have a similar department to Chevys COPO??

Thanks
    Randy

17. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, I saw it, and it was in a station wagon. I really doubt it was ordered that way, I just know it was the real thing, just didn't know it was a T/A or AAR 340 at the time.

18. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

O..K., I won't say you didn't see a 4 bolt main 340 in a station wagon, but I have to wonder, as even AAR's and T/A 340's didn't have 4 bolt mains. Other than 426 Hemi engines and Gen III with cross bolted mains, I can't think of any Chrysler engines with 4 bolt mains. Am I forgetting some??

Thanks
    Randy

19. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If you went to the truck side of the dealership, you found the guys that could order about anything you wanted. Parts guys hated working with Dodge trucks as they were so variable. It became a twenty question time at the counter as to what brakes, transmission, driveshaft & differential you would have. Engines had a lot less options other than cubic inches available.

Cornupenuria likes this.
  20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Who knows, but everything had Mopar stampings on it, it was not aftermarket or anything like that. Was it a T/A or AAR? I don't know, but it was a factory thing because at the time we didn't know of ANY 4 bolt main small blocks in existence. I don't know, but I do know it probably wasn't ordered that way BECAUSE IT SHOULDN'T EXIST, right?