AF: 69 Dodge Polara 500 convertible | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

69 Dodge Polara 500 convertible

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by polara10x500, Jan 24, 2020.

1. polara10x500

polara10x500 Member

Hi all, New here to this forum. Would like some general feedback from anybody. Just purchased a 1969 Dodge Polara 500 2 door convertible, Now I never have particularly cared for convertibles or a GREEN car but this car just floored me with the top up or down and that frost silvery green paint and tan leather interior..so I pulled the trigger. My question is since I've never owned a convertible is it best to store it top up or down, common sense tells me up and covered with a quality car cover but I'm not sure and looking for some good tips and advise from anybody who owns and stores classic convertibles. Thanks to all who chime in.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Big full size rag top...you can't beat it for a ride in the country. I still see alot of full size GM convertible cars from the late 60's and early 70's but never a Mopar.
    I always kept my top up in the garage during the winter.

3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Congrats on your purchase. A 69 Polara 500 Convertible is a very desirable car.
    Store the top in the up position. Also be aware the old material gets brittle and stiff in the cold.
    At shows in the spring and fall raise the top while the sun is still up before temps dip.
    Don’t ask me how I know.

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I had a 69 Polara two door when I was in college in 1976. 383 two barrel and including myself, 13 of us went to the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Knoxville. Nine of us inside the car and four more in the spacious trunk. I'll never forget that. I loved that car. Gave it to an alcoholic brother and he trashed it within two years. I had purchased a 74 Duster slant six three speed for economical reasons.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Agree. With the top folded, it seems to shrink and can be hard to refasten when trying to put it back up.
    Store with the top up and stretched out. The windows can be left cracked open in dry storage.
    If stored outdoors, check for water leaks after rains.

Dave Z likes this.
  7. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

My best routine was to just drop the top late spring, leave down all summer, raise it before fall set in. Once top was up it stayed there till next spring warm up.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Definitely up for two reasons. The first is stretch and shrink, the second, critters.

9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

do they even make replacement tops for C body late 60's mopar ragtops?

10. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Any top can be made, if the car needs one. A sailmaker at a boat shop had all the tools for measuring, cutting and stitching heavy vinyl and cloth fabrics and advised me on a custom-made top. He could get the pattern.
    It may be still available in vinyl or cloth (for about $250 more) in businesses like Kanter:
    https://www.kanter.com/productdetai...&CategoryID=22&ProductCode=130&Router=Gallery
    Tops and weatherstrips do get weathered and ratty after some years. Keep them clean, stored out of the elements and apply conditioner/preservative occasionally.