Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

73 Hornet

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by PCRMike, Dec 13, 2015.

1. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Had been converted to a drag car. Still has all the stock stuff in his garage. Solid body except for an area on the bottom rear of both doors. Not on the outside, but in the "tub" of the door. Son wants it bad. Custom paint (not great, but decent) and a blow tie in it now with an AMC 290 on a stand. He wants 2 grand for it all. We would build build a 360 Mopar for it unless able to a locate a 401 AMC. How hard are these to a find parts for? Anyone make repop stuff?

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

You'll have more success finding parts for the 360 than for both AMC engines combined. If it's been for sale for a while, offer less than 2 grand; the owner might take any reasonable offer.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Do you plan on making it street legal again or keeping it for drag? I would want a look underneath for rust and irreversible 'hacks' that you may not have seen yet that might make the project impractical.
    A cucumber can be turned into a pickle, but you can't change a pickle back into a cucumber. It would have to be a labor of love.
    There are AMC clubs and limited parts out there. There weren't a lot of these cars around back then and even fewer now.
    http://www.kennedyamerican.com/

GLHS60 likes this.
  4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

cucumber can be turned into a pickle, but you can't change a pickle back into a cucumber. It would have to be a labor of love.

That's a great quote!!

There is a guy on yellowbullet that is doing a great job building a Hornet 401, you might want to check it out, he might have some parts/info. Search: My not so "eXtreme 275" 1970 AMC Hornet

I'm a real AMC fan and like to see these cars get saved. I put an Olds 455 in an AMC spirit years ago, kind of sacrilege but I had the engine and the car, very easy swap...

Thanks
    Randy

5. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

No hacking underneath. very clean and rust free down there. Evaluation of street - ability will wait, but the plan is either or at this point.