Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 Dodge Charger

Discussion in 'Historical' started by JohnRogers, Jan 17, 2014.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

A bunched up wad of cars is racing? It's a wreck waiting to happen, IMO.
    I'm not a fan of splitters and side skirts. I like my stock cars to look more stock...

I have the '74 race on a DVD. Petty and Allison were swapping the lead 2-3 times a lap for
    the last part of the race. One of the best duels ever. When Petty blew the tire in 4, he showed the rest
    why disc brakes work well!

The 74 Charger makes one of the best looking Nascar race cars ever! (in my humble opinion)
    Ed - This must have been your view of the car before the race!!
    petty dodge charger at daytona 500 (2).jpg
    Yes, we disagree, but that's ok. You're still my MoPar buddy from Chrysler Engineering!

#21 DC-93, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

101,000 ghouls to be exact, according to Jayski's. I happen to agree with you that RP racing isn't really racing, but only as far as RP tracks go. And, those 101,000 ghouls do buy vehicles. Not seeing any Dodges ain't going to bring the brand to mind when they do go car shopping and Dodge doesn't have much else but it's slowly fading "performance" reputation - certainly not reliability according to some just released surveys. I just saw an article that reported that "Brand C" had a 100 car display tent out front @ Daytona to tie their street cars to Nascar fans...,.. and that GM execs see a good ROI for the $$$ they put into Nascar racing.

pentastarpunk likes this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

You need to pack up your facts and figures and head to FCA in Detroit to work for them. All of us here, you, me, and a bunch of others on both sides of the coin can do nothing, either way, except talk about it.

Only 101,000 ? That's terrible!!

4. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Sadly, the Ford Fusion sales were down by 20+ %.
    Ford has stated that they want sell on Mondays what they race on Sundays.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

My working days are over - and, unfortunately, my driving days may also soon be over due to health reasons. Believe it or not, I once interviewed with the head of Dodge's West Coast marketing Dept., circa 1969 - a fellow named McFarland, IIRC. He seemed interested (interview lasted over an hour) and he actually took some notes of some recommendations I made for Mopars in NHRA doorslammer racing classes. I guess he didn't think my enthusiasm was high enough when he asked me if I would be willing to move to Detroit.

Yes we really can't do much except become a stockholder which gives you a right to ask questions or make recommendations once a year at the annual stockholders' meeting. Unfortunately, that's usually held in Detroit too ;).

As to the 101,000, that's just butts in the seats. According to what was posted on Jayski's, there were over 12 million (average) TV viewers and 26 million more watching on personal devices. 38.1 million viewers is a heck of a lot of potential customers/fans to ignore.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

To most fans I know, the exact model raced in Nascar is only one consideration when it comes to buying a new car for Ford (or "Brand C") fans. Most of the Ford fans that I know drive Ford PU's (or Mustangs) and quite a few of the "Brand C" fanatics that I know drive their PU trucks. All they want is to see their favorite brand represented on some type of competitive racing vehicle. Selling a PU or large SUV brings all the Detroit companies way more $$$ than cars do.

7. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Guys, this is the historical section... there are many threads on the main Motorsport page to discuss modern NASCAR and sales of vehicles associated with NASCAR.

Thanks,

Mike

8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Fast Ed - Can you post some of the pics from the pits at Daytona?

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I had originally posted this very cool photo of Hershel McGriff passing under the LeMans Dunlop tire bridge back in post #4 but the Photobucket source got timed out. I just found it on Pinterest so I'll "re-share".
    This is a photo of the original car that Hershel ran in the Le Mans class for NASCAR type cars [Grand International Class] in 1976.

Hershel McGriff @ LeMans Dunlap bridge 1976.jpg

This would have made a great photo-ad for Dodge marketing, had they been on their toes.

I'm still keeping an eye out for the other photo that I posted that got timed out.