AF: 74 Dodge Dart Custom (door) | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 Dodge Dart Custom (door)

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Hamma, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Hamma

Hamma New Member

Thank you for accepting me in your forum. I recently purchased a 74 custom dart body has minimal rust & it has a 318 engine that runs. Mechanic discovered that all the wiring behind the dash have been tampered with. All I need is a fuel guage and a odometer. Any suggestions? This is my 1st mopar

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Your best bet is to get a factory service manual with wiring diagrams and fix what was butchered. It's all pretty straightforward except this:
    • The gauges, except the speedometer, require +5v that is delivered by a regulator in the dash that steps the +12v down to +5v.
    • I'd consider bypassing the ammeter gauge while you are in there. It can be a fire hazard.
    • The fuel gauge requires the tank be properly grounded to get a reading.
    • Don't overlook the bulkhead connections, where corrosion can play havoc with electronics.
    Worst case, new engine and dash wiring harnesses are available but expensive.

3. Hamma

Hamma New Member

4. Hamma

Hamma New Member

Thank you for the info

5. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

awesome .. 74 dart 318.. was my first Mopar when I was 16... some awesome memories in that car. Good luck with your project and welcome to Allpar.

6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Here is a link to wiring diagrams for 1972 - 1976 Chrysler built vehicles. I would want to know that the engine temperature gauge and the oil pressure indicator lamp were working properly.

Mopar Wiring Diagrams - MyMopar.com - Dodge Plymouth Wiring Diagrams (at http://www.mymopar.com/72to76_wiring.htm )