Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76 W100 problem

Discussion in 'Power Wagon' started by 53 Flathead, Feb 18, 2013.

1. 53 Flathead

53 Flathead Member

My 76 W100 has a problem, when I was driving tonight, the wipers, radio, heater fan just stopped, then they all came back on. This happened several times, can someone tell me what I should look at? Thanks.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Sorry I didn't see this until now. Check the bulkhead connectors at the firewall for signs of heat and/or corrosion. Many times I have found melted plastic and green terminals. Actually separate the connector halves (if you can).
    The ignition switch is another problem area for developing this high resistance.

3. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

See IC's post. This is a very common problem with both cars and trucks of that era, from about 1961, until the removal of the amp gauge and use of a voltmeter. There are several web pages devoted to the cure, (and maybe here at Allpar) but the basic issue is running the primary alternator feed through the amp gauge (and dash) before it goes out to the battery and various other components.
    This generates a lot of heat at the connector which is prone to water, dirt and brittleness over time.

4. 53 Flathead

53 Flathead Member

Thankyou, it was a loose conection under the dash.