AF: '77 Dodge van flooding at idle | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'77 Dodge van flooding at idle

Discussion in 'Vans' started by 52Dodgecoronet, Jul 15, 2014.

1. 52Dodgecoronet

52Dodgecoronet Active Member

I have a 1977 B-200 camper with a rebuilt 360 V8.It has a ThermoQuad carburetor which was rebuilt by a reputable firm about a year ago. It was running well, both at idle and under load, until I took it on a long trip. Somewhere during the trip it started idling badly, and I had to start giving it more gas at idle in order to keep it running. I believe it is running too rich at idle. Around the same time I started to smell gas after driving the vehicle. I notice that the carb is either flooding, or maybe the evap system is dumping gas into the carb. I don't think it is a vacuum leak because that wouldn't explain why gas is dripping off the carb, and I don't think it is the carb idle adjustment because it wouldn't have changed this much all by itself. It still runs well at speeds above idle.

What should I do next in order to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks a lot.

52Coronet

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

A visual inspection is going to be needed. Start the van and warm it up several minutes, then shut it off and see what happens. If there is gas coming from the seam along the top, the floats are made of phenolic material and are prone to sinking from chemicals in the gas itself, but if the leak is from a possible crack, the bodies are known to crack and leak, so do a real good inspection to determine if it is a sunk float or a cracked body.

3. 52Dodgecoronet

It turned out to be a vacuum leak. One of the rubber caps on the vacuum tree had disintegrated and fallen off!

floridaman2013 likes this.
  4. 52Dodgecoronet

Ready to hit the road again!

van1.jpg

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Good deal. Vacuum leaks can seem like flooding sometimes, too much air makes the needle rise to give more fuel so you smell gas, so glad you got it figured out.