Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 speed service

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by wtxiceman, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

I remember reading an excerpt of the FSM for changing the fluid on the ZF 8Spd AWD, and there was a step procedure to use the Dealer WiTech to operate/activate something for some reason to do with the front driveshaft. I don't know if its a step that can skipped without consequence or if there is a work around for it.

2. manybrews

manybrews Active Member

well, yeah.. By 95 they had been updated so much they were hardly the same transmission. Unfortunately, the original owners (89-90) were the ones that suffered the most. I can virtually guarantee if any of those cars are still around, none of them still have the original transmissions. Which is an epic fail for chrysler.

3. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

But for but for a number of years, they were still the A604. The blanket statement that was made earlier about virtually all the a604 were crap was not so. The early ones were. The reengineering that took place on them had to do with strengthening certain parts and improving in some areas that they should have have right in the first place. Many of the newer Parts would fit in place of the older Parts, therefore, it was an updated version of the same transmission. The design itself was not bad, the original implementation of it was. Sorry to split hairs, but I just wanted to clarify on the blanket statement that was made that all a604 is were junk.

4. manybrews

manybrews Active Member

I know exactly which parts were upgraded, which in fact was over half the transmission.
    Look, the 604s were crap. Total crap for the first 2 years for sure. It took about 4-5 to say they were actually good transmissions, and by then they had renamed them 41te (or whatever).

They got decent around 93. They were good around 95 and up.