AF: 84 dodge 600 es | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

84 dodge 600 es

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by Montana, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Montana

Montana New Member

I just bought this 84 600 es 2.2 turbo. It runs good, but if i punch the throttle it starts to stall and fall on its face. And as soon as it hits 80mph while lightly pushing the throttle it does the same thing. And idea why this happens?

Also it shifts late into 2nd and 3rd gear.. it shifts smooth just need to have the rpms up before it does.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by Montana, Aug 24, 2018
  3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Check for any diagnostic codes. Here is the link that explains. 1980s Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge computer fault codes (at https://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html )

Have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? Too low and too high can cause shifting issues.

The 3 speed automatic front wheel drive transaxle was patterned from the rear wheel drive Torqueflite 904 / 727 transmissions. All were hydraulically controlled and actuated (no computer control) and were extremely reliable.

I reviewed a factory service manual for 1984 front wheel drive vehicles. For an automatic transmission connected to a turbo 4 cylinder engine these are the specifications for upshift speeds

overall gear ratio 3.02 (turbo)
    throttle minimum 1 - 2 shift 15 - 19 mph
    2 - 3 shift 21 - 25 mph

throttle maximum 1 - 2 shift 38 - 42 mph
    2 - 3 shift 70 - 80 mph

At what road speed is the late shift occurring?

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If no codes, I would check the secondary ignition system first. The distributor cap button should have a shiny spot where it contacts the rotor. The inside of the distributor should be free of 'dust'.
    The plug wires should be pushed fully into the cap and be a recent, quality brand.
    The spark plugs should be the OEM Champion Copper+ RN12YC.
    How do the tips look on the current plugs? Carbon or white?

Is the kickdown cable return spring there and able to return the cable to 'idle'? Is the throttle lever slot that the cable slides in free of corrosion and allows the cable to slide in the slot (with return spring pulling it back to the 'idle' position)?
    If the throttle (kickdown) linkage if free and not binding, then check for proper cable adjustment.
    The horseshoe retainer at the bell-housing should pry and pop up, the cable should seek its own 'center', then secure the horseshoe back down to hold the adjustment.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

How many miles? The turbos during those years had an annoying lag of about a second or two before kicking in. If yours seems to be something else, then, in addition to what the experts advise, your timing might be off. I think your car has a timing belt rather than a chain, which needs replacing every 60K miles or so. Or it could be a problem with the turbo.

6. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

The 1984 turbo system is almost completely different from the 1985-87 turbo I systems, electronics are different. Turbo is a Garret unit and is usually pretty durable. There are two virtually identical temperature sensors, one on the water box (thermostat area) the other is on the intake. The water one is the engine coolant temperature, the one on the manifold is the charge temperature sensor. These systems also had an overboost cut out, but the fact that it cuts out at speed may indicate a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pressure on these is high, 55 psi static (no vacuum on the regulator). If it still has the original pump it could be weak. While you are looking at the ignition, something I learned years ago, look at the wires for a date code, it will be something 3Q-08 meaning 3rd quarter of 2008. If they are over 3 years old, they are suspect, especially the coil wire due to it's length. Examine the coil and it's boot for signs of carbon tracking and look for white spots on the coil and plug wires where they are touching any metal, that is a sign of spark leaks.

It sounds like a fun car, good luck with it!

7. Montana

Montana New Member

Fluid is fin

8. Montana

Montana New Member

9. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The ignition wires for the 2.2Liter do not plug into the distributor cap, except for the coil wire. The connector pushes through the plastic distributor cap and becomes the contact that the rotor touches.

If you look at the distributor cap end of these cables you will see what I am talking about. To remove the wires from the distributor cap you need to remove the cap and squeeze the terminal together to unlock it from the distributor cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 ka9yhd, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    ImperialCrown likes this.
  10. Montana

Montana New Member

20180825_183322.jpg Update.. please correct me if im wrong. But this a picture of my car. I just noticed that i believe someone did an engine swap. Isnt this a 2.5 not a 2.2?....

11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't know how you could possibly tell from a picture.

gminnebo, chuzz and Doug D like this.
  12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Looks just like the 2.2 turbo I had in an 84 Laser XE. But I agree with Bob. I can't tell from a picture.