Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

86 Daytona fuel sender not reading full

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by Jason89, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Jason89

Jason89 Member

I fill up the tank and the two spectra sending units both read only 3/4 of a tank. I took the sending unit out again and moved the arm all the way up and down and the gauge responded properly. I thought I heard of bending the rod to the float. So now today I filled the tank, estimating mileage basically to see if I bend the rod what will the Gauge read when the tank is basically empty.
    What did you end up doing? I want to call spectra. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

It is possible the after market sending unit may not be exactly calibrated to the tank.

I think Bob Lincoln would know more on this. He should see your post.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

So you have proven that the full travel of the float does deliver the proper gauge reading, but when installed in the tank, it apparently does not go through full travel.

That suggests to me that the sending unit is rotated in its mounting hole in the tank, such that the travel motion is not vertical, but maybe diagonal. Check to make sure that the sending unit is not rotated from the position it should be in.
    If I can get under my car tonight or tomorrow night with a camera and flash and take a picture, I'll post as to how it should be installed in the tank.

4. Jason89

Jason89 Member

The sending unit lines up one way. I can almost guarantee it is in there correct. One tab is between 9 & 10 on a clock and the other is between 2 & 3 on a clock. I did notice that the tube in which the return hose goes on to is on the right (passenger) side of the tube that the float and the resister is located on. Long story short, I looked through the fuel pump opening to make sure the hose is out of the way. Also Spectra said to me today that it is impossible not to read correctly. I almost went nuts lol. This is the second sending unit that is doing this. And someone else on turbododge has the same issue. Send the pic to me to ttops89@aol.com. Thanks, Bob

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Is the cross-hose out of the way? Is the plastic fuel pump reservoir still mounted to the floor of the tank and not floating around?
    Any other interference inside the tank that may be blocking float travel?
    I see a sender part # FG64A. Is yours verified to be the correct part?

6. Jason89

Jason89 Member

Thank you for the answer. Yes the hose is out of the way I actually had a little difficulty with it because I extended it and then the float got stuck on it. Then I removed my extension got the hose back on like it's supposed to be on the sending unit and it's lined up in the tank now I am at a loss. Of course we don't know how everything is laying now in regards to any other obstructions. When I looked in the tank with a mirror I only saw the metal tub in which the pump sits in and that hose gets connected to a short piece of metal tubing which only goes through a 1 inch baffle so I think the hose is useless. The tank was changed once to a spectra tank. And the sending init is confirmed correct by spectra.

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

That was going to be my next question. :)
    The Spectra website says nothing about the sender or tank parts being OEM, but a Spectra tank should match a Spectra sender.
    Do you still have the original sender and have you laid the OEM and Spectra senders side-by-side for comparison?
    Because you can get the gauge to behave properly with the sender out of the tank, it would seem that the resistance of the new sender is OK but maybe the level arm swing can't be complete inside the tank?
    I see a Mopar fuel tank part # of 4203935 and a sender unit # 4051663. These parts are long discontinued, but the Mopar part numbers may be useful for application comparison or part compatibility purposes.
    Fuel Tank | Genuine Mopar | 4203935 : Mopar KC | OEM Mopar Parts and Accessories
    Fuel Gauge Sending Unit | Genuine Mopar | 4051663 : Genuine Mopar Parts For Dodge Jeep RAM Chrysler

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Sending unit photo. Fuel return line is at about 2 o'clock. Electrical plug at about 6 o'clock. 84Daytona sending unit.jpg

9. Jason89

Jason89 Member

Hey Bob, This might be the issue!. Look at the picture I attached. Is yours Factory? Remember my unit in the tank has locking tabs. I will check the one i just ordered from Advanced Auto under warranty to see if it is aligned like yours.
    THANKS!!

Attached Files:

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Yes, mine is the original as far as I know, and it reads correctly, dead-on. Never touched it when I replaced the fuel pump. And it also has locking tabs.
    Yours looks like it's rotated correctly. But don't you have a locking collar that goes over the sending unit? Normally the pump and the sending unit each have a flat rubber O-ring gasket that goes under the flange of the unit, you insert the pump or sending unit in the tank with the tabs lined up with the matching areas of the tank, then you slide a locking collar over the pump or sending unit and rotate IT until it locks in place with its tabs oriented correctly. Then you take a small screwdriver and mallet and tap the tabs flat against the tank to prevent the locking collar from spinning. At least, that's the way the fuel pump was for my 92 and my 84 Daytonas.

#10 Bob Lincoln, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  11. Jason89

Jason89 Member

Yes there is a locking ring on it. the rubber gasket is between the unit and the tank.

12. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Notice from the pics of my 92 tank, the sending unit on the right has 'bumps' on the locking collar, so that you rotate the collar and as the collar 'ramps' along the retainer on the tank lip, the bumps on the collar snap under a corresponding area. Not sure if that locking collar is rotated all the way in your pic. gastanksep2007-0068ss.jpg

gastanksep2007-0071ss.jpg

13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Electrical plug on mine is more around the 5 o'clock position, not 6.

14. Jason89

Jason89 Member

Yes the collar is at the stop on the locking ring. At least this gives me food for thought. I will check the new one later.

15. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

This was the sending unit for the 92 - probably almost identical, except the 92 has only the siphon tube and not a return line (that's in the 92 pump).
    gastanksep2007-0047ss.jpg

16. Jason89

Jason89 Member

UPDATE:
    Spectra the people that make the sending unit called me and found an issue with the sending units. The float on their units are getting stuck in their tanks. The rod that the float swivels on is too long. They are sending me a new unit that has been revised.
    I'll let you know if it works.
    Thanks for the comments.

17. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

That figures!

18. Jason89

Jason89 Member

UPDATE:
    I installed the revised fuel sending unit from Spectra. Filled the gas tank and it works GREAT! The gauge reads Full.
    The big fix was, The rod that the float swivels on was too long so they cut off the excess extending past the float itself.
    This made my weekend, LOL.

ka9yhd and Bob Lincoln like this.