Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

86 Laser passenger wiper arm not moving

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by Laser86, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Just before winter the passenger wiper arm stopped moving, is there something in particular I should look at first ? if it is the wiper arm or wiper assembly are there other model cars that will work as a replacement since these cars are becoming even more rare ?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

This will be a failed nylon wiper bushing in the wiper arm linkage, underneath the plastic cowl underhood. Dorman ("HELP!") parts carries assorted bushings, and two of the 10 in the kit are identical and will fit. They are a press-fit on the linkage. It may be easiest to remove the entire wiper linkage from the car and redo all the bushings. Takes about an hour or so. Be SURE to keep the linkage arms in the same orientation as you remove them, it's easy to reverse them or flip them over and re-assemble it wrong.

Dorman - Help Windshield Wiper Linkage Bushing Assortment 49447: Advance Auto Parts

3. Laser86

Laser86 Member

so how many kits do I need to redo " all " the bushings ? and how are you doing man ? glad to see you still out here ...... what cars you got now a days ? and thanks once again for your assistance .....

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

You need 4 bushings to do all of them. Three are identical. The 4th, which goes on the motor arm below the linkage, has the top of the bushing cut off, so that it's just a sleeve. I found you can take a regular bushing and cut it with a utility knife or Dremel tool. So you need 2 kits.
    Doing fine. Finally getting a 3-car garage built on my house to get the cars under shelter. I have my daily driver 93 Daytona TBI with 250K miles; 84 Daytona Turbo Z with 146K miles, and 92 Dakota with 209K miles. All have minor issues that keep me busy. Backup light socket just disintegrated on the truck, so I have to scavenge a taillight harness with sockets, since there are no new ones. State safety inspection deadline is next week. Hard to accept that the truck becomes illegal because of one bulb.
    My wife has a 2012 Chrysler 200, we love it, 37K trouble-free miles.

5. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Well that was easy enough, I only did the passenger side, about 20 minutes total, I didn't have time to even look at the drivers side but I imagine that bushing and the one for the motor will be going bad also so I will do them when I have time, again, once again, thank you !

And Bob, what is that car in your avatar ? Is that new ( er ) ?

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

It was taken in 2008, it's my 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. Since then the paint has faded more, and badly needs repainting, especially the roof and hatch. But no rust, and in great shape at 157K miles.

7. Laser86

Laser86 Member

I did get around to doing both the driver and passenger side bushings, bought TWO kits, thank you for the " help " kit advise, I cut the one bushing with a razor knife, easy enough, THANKS AGAIN !

#7Laser86, 8 minutes ago

Bob Lincoln likes this.