NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

87 Sundance Driver Side Window Hard to Crank

Discussion in 'Technical Support & Help' started by greaseonhandsfromasundance, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:17 PM.

1. greaseonhandsfromasundance

greaseonhandsfromasundance Member

I've opened the inside and sprayed white lithium grease on everything that appears to move. I can only lower the window about 4 inches with some resistance then it gets worse and worse. I don't try to go beyond halfway. There is that plastic clam shell like guide that rides in the track and I'm wondering if that is binding somehow. It's not visible but inside the track.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator Level III Supporter

The front and rear felt/rubber glass channels could also be lubed with silicone spray.
    With the door trim panel off, try lowering the glass to the binding point and see what it seems to be binding on?
    Does the glass tip forward or backward as it raises and lowers? That is usually from binding on something.
    30 year old grease has hardened up and undercoating on window parts can cause binding.
    The drivers window get used more than the others and is usually the first to have worn parts.
    As long as the nylon guides aren't broken or worn, lubrication should help.

3. AllanC

AllanC Active Member

See the attached view of the front window door glass. See item #2. There are 2 plastic clips located along the vertical edge of the window glass in the channel closest to the latch. One of these is probably broken and allowing the clip to dig into and drag on the fuzzy channel material. I don't know if a 30 year old part like this is still available??? If the plastic rivet is broken you probably could use a small plastic bolt and nut and file the head down to reduce drag.

My 1989 Plymouth Acclaim used an identical arrangement for holding the door glass. It became difficult to roll up and down manually. No amount of various lubricants in the window channels and lift gear mechanism would reduce the effort. Fixing one of these broken clips returned smooth up and down motion.

upload_2017-3-20_20-52-56.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM
  4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Member

Learn something every day.

Sometime in the last century I replaced these clips on an Olds Omega.

I bought a couple of extras as I figured they would be a common problem.

I came across the extras just a couple of days ago while organizing some stuff.

Never knew Chrysler used them as well!!

Thanks
    Randy