Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

87 sundance starter help

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by greaseonhandsfromasundance, Dec 15, 2017.

1. greaseonhandsfromasundance

I have had trouble starting the car and thought is was NSS switch. I changed that and for a while is seemed to matter then a permanent no start condition happened. I have a new starter and just installed it. I believe it was installed right and lined up and bolts and nuts all fit fine. The starter sounds terrible when I turn the key. I makes a really bad whine and mechanical clunking sounds. The care does start with it but it sounds like things are falling apart. I took it back to napa and they tested it and it runs fine on the tester and the gear runs out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'll try reinstalling it again and try to be certain it is properly seated. I have done many starters over the decades and never bolted one on with this result but there must be something I'm doing wrong.

2. David Eidell

David Eidell Well-Known Member

I have a new starter

Or rather a rebuilt/remanufactured starter motor? 99% of mass rebuilders slap together parts that should fit and look alike then shove it out the door. When I was rebuilding, I gagged at the percentage of stuff that went to the scrap bin.
    I have not checked out genuinely "new" Chinese clones to see if they have The Right Stuff, but if I have to suffer a remanufactured alternator or starter motor, MoPar has good products. So does Ford and GM.
    Parts Store Lifetime Warranty parts should have a zip lock included. Wing nuts and Velcro. You'll need it...

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Do you still have the old starter for a nose-to-nose comparison? Is there only one possible starter part number offered in their listing?
    There is a locating dowel that goes in place on some starters between the starter and bell-housing that must be in place to center everything. Did that happen to come out with the old starter?
    Make sure that the power and grounds to the starter and engine are OK. Low voltage can make a starter sound horrible.

4. greaseonhandsfromasundance

Yes rebuilt not new. A Wilson from NAPA. It didn't come with the heat shield or the stud that I think Imperial is referring to as a locating dowel so I removed the shield and stud from my old one and transferred to the new one. I can't find another starter in town and a ship in will take until mid next week. It starts but it sounds like things are coming apart. I can order a 'new' one from Pep Boys and hope this junk from NAPA will keep me going until it arrives next week. I think I'll see if I can find a rebuild kit for my old one. Back in the 70's I did that and a brush kit and the copper disks got you going again. I'll try and record the sounds of this thing and post it. It runs like a clock on the bench but there must be a bearing or something that takes a crap under real conditions. I sounds like metal on metal with an occasional clunk. I hope this thing doesn't damage my flywheel.

5. greaseonhandsfromasundance

I took the scrap starter back to NAPA. Oreillys part number R612454A was available in town and installed and works perfectly. I couldn't find a torque spec for the bolts and nut so guessed 60 ft-lbs should suffice.

ImperialCrown and Bob Lincoln like this.