Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'89 5th Ave.- front sway bar diameter???

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by goair99, Mar 24, 2017.

1. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Does anyone know, off the top of your head, what diameter the front sway bar is? There are two sizes listed and I am guessing the police package is the larger one?

Civilian - 28mm or 1 3/32 inch?

Police - 29mm or 1 1/8 inches?

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You will only have the larger front bar if there is a rear sway bar on the car. As you have guessed, it is used on police cars most commonly.
    Some years there was a heavy duty/performance suspension offered for the civilian cars which also included a rear sway bar and very likely upgraded the front sway bar.

3. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Ok Thanks!

4. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Wait, wait...How come Firmfeel says the 29mm or 1 1/8 inch is the factory swaybar size???

5. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Anyone...Buller?

6. Chrononaut

Chrononaut Member

Hey, goair99. Chrononaut, again. I once worked for a local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer and had to purchase some suspension parts for my Gran Fury cop car. I needed front sway bar bushings and some part for the steering linkage. The parts dept. guy swore on everything holy that all M's used the same part #'s regardless of civilian/taxi or police. He was completely wrong. The sway bar bushings were way too small as was the linkage part. I had to go to Napa to get the right parts! Long story short, don't trust/believe part suppliers! Measure the stuff yourself and look for part #'s! Valiant67 is right, Mostly the AHB's (police package) cars got the 29mm bars up front. Everyone else, (5th. Ave.'s, Le Barons) got the 28mm. bar. I'm looking for another M car right now. My current driver is an '87 Plymouth Reliant and she's looking for a mate, civilian, police, taxi or otherwise. Anyone? Buller? Buller?

7. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Thanks my Mopar friend, I am still trying to find out...

8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Most likely is that they only deal with a firmer ride request as the used market covers the standard bar.