Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'89 5th Ave. LeanBurn conversion questions...

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by goair99, May 14, 2017.

1. goair99

goair99 Active Member

2. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Anyone? Senior members?

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I suppose that kit would work fine, though it can be done cheaper. All you need is a reman distributor, wiring pigtail and a ballast resistor. No need to change the coil. These kits usually have too much advance built in for a stock smog motor though they are adjustable. The distributor and carb can be sourced for a 1973 Dart, for example.

4. valiant67

Level III Supporter

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The carb will need a ported vacuum outlet fitting for the distributor vacuum advance. This is still emissions tampering if it matters for where you live.
    Because of spark advance, you will still probably want to keep the EGR system.

6. goair99

goair99 Active Member

No emissions testing in Florida. Thanks to all for your advice!

I just want to be able step on the gas from a stop and have SMOOTH acceleration. I am SO tired of the bucking and surging that I currently experience on acceleration. Also the dreaded pause during throttle tip in while at speed. I have had two other 5ths over the years and they all did this to some degree or another.

7. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I was able to keep Lean Burn, easily pass emissions and have a good running car with my 89 Fifth Avenue. It started easily, was relatively economical on the freeway but gas mileage in town and performance sucked due to the gearing put in these cars. My secret was paying a lot of attention to the Lean Burn carb. The only other issue I had was with the EGR valve. It made the car surge and I traced that issue to an incorrect vacuum connection from before I bought the car. Fixed that and the car was a great daily driver, even in hot Atlanta traffic with the R12 AC blowing cold.

Anyway I don't blame you for going with the simpler setup. Since I had to pass emissions I chose to optimize the factory setup.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It sounds like the problem may all be in the carb. Any recent rebuild history?

9. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Yes. I bought the car 6 month ago from an estate sale in Tampa, FL. She only has 41K on her so she sat garaged most of her life. She has a new starter, alternator, hoses, a/c lines, condenser, belts, alternator, computer and from what I can tell a new carb. I fixed a pinched fuel hose and rerouted some emissions/vacuum lines that were in the wrong place. Also the PCV valve was hooked up to the wrong port. Over all she does run a lot better in general...

She is not my daily driver so I drive her on weekends. Maybe I will switch over to non ethanol premium and start from there...

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Sitting can ruin a fuel system faster than driving it daily. If the carb seals and gaskets were allowed to dry out, they have likely shrunk. This can cause internal fuel (rich) and air (lean) leaks.
    A carb recondition may help with driveability matters. The 28 year-old plastic float might also have issues and should be replaced and adjusted at the time of rebuild.
    A peek inside the tank for grunge and varnish might also reveal problems. It can restrict or plug an in-tank sock filter and make things lean.
    I wouldn't just replace the LeanBurn system right off the bat. It may not be the problem at all.

11. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I'll also add that it is hard to find people who really know how to work on carbs. And that includes buying a reman/rebuilt carb from a parts store.
    That's why on these 2bbls, I do the work myself. When I had my 89 Fifth Avenue, I bought a spare carb from a cash for clunkers car and kept it plus a rebuild kit just in case I ran into issues with the carb on the car.

Bearhawke likes this.
  12. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I'm pretty sure that's a state law thing since once a vehicle's over 25 years old, the EPA typically doesn't care anymore about emissions legality. I know that many non US compliant cars and trucks have been imported and, registered even in Calif if discussing 1992 on down models even if not fitted from the factory with airbags, catalysts, etc.

13. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Thanks to all for advice, I will keep you posted. I will try to keep the current system first and just take this one step at a time...

14. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

MA only does emissions testing on cars 15 years and newer, and even then, it's an OBD scan. Unless that comes up bad, they don't check emissions levels.
    HOWEVER, having a catcon is a federal requirement, and I failed emissions for the first time ever in my 84 Daytona last year when a different shop noticed that there was a straight pipe installed by a previous owner instead of the catcon. I had to buy a new catcon and have it welded in. $170. So it CAN still matter.

15. Bearhawke

Interesting about 'just' having a catalyst (if equipped from new) was mandatory under Federal law on 25+ year old vehicles. Although in the Phx area; 1981-95 is IM240 (under 8,500 GVW only, the heavier vehicles still have to deal with a full emissions control check) with 1996+ being the OBD II scan. Somehow a 1983 Chevy van under 8,500 GVW (5 lug wheels) passed the IM240 despite it missing its catalytic converter. Although the only smog controls tested here on the above are the evap systems, weird.

16. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

In NY the cat doesn't have to be 'tested' before 1984, but it has to be present and attached.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  17. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Exactly. The only emissions test I had on this car in MA was in 2008, and no one noticed the catcon missing until last year. It passed HC without it, although at a level 8 times higher than the 85 Daytona that I had bought new. Different inspection shop. Interestingly, he failed me for what he insisted was a hole in the exhaust - without even looking, and refusing to put it on a lift during the inspection. Slapped a failed sticker based on his expert hearing. I knew there was no hole, it sounded that way for the last 9 years. But the surprise was that it was a widened straight pipe, not a hole.
    You cannot remove or disable a catcon, period, no matter the age of the vehicle. You may not get caught, but the fine is several thousand dollars.

18. Bearhawke

I suspect if discussing certain years and models; it may be 'legal' in the sense of installing a 1995-97 460 with all of its emissions gear into a 1994 down Ford F350 Super Duty since Ford deleted the converter after 1994 and, somehow got the newer motor to pass emissions despite it not certified with a converter.