AF: 89 Ram van 250 Tilt steering column doesn't lock | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 Ram van 250 Tilt steering column doesn't lock

Discussion in 'Vans' started by yawyd, May 24, 2013.

1. yawyd

yawyd New Member

I was driving into town today and when I hit an unnoticed pothole, the steering column just snapped down and never relocked. The tilt lock pin/latch broke. Is there a way I could replace that lock or latch? or just swap columns and retain my original ignition switch.

2. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

It's a Delco column if memory serves, should be repairable. Was the column wiggly at all before it wouldn't hold? I've seen wiggly ones tightened up with a thorough disassembly.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Once it is taken apart you will be able to tell if it is just the spring that broke or the locking pin holding the catch that has broken. Both parts are replaceable, and even if it is the actual catch that broke, salvage yard part, or replace the whole column and swap your key into the column.

4. yawyd

yawyd New Member

Im going to disassemble it tomorrow and see what isn't catching. Will post on what I find out.

5. yawyd

yawyd New Member

Well I took the column apart and found not only the locking mechanism broke but the shaft itself was repaired at one point but the weld broke. So I have to find a used salvage yard one.

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Now you know. At least the repair lasted as long as it did, and since you know how to take it apart, might make it easy enough to extract the repair parts and reassemble easier than replacing the whole column.

7. yawyd

yawyd New Member

Now would an 84-85 column work? I have the wiper switch in a different spot then it is on the older ones. So could I just splice the wiring to the older wiper switch from the wrecker van? or just find an late 80's one instead.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

To keep it as simple as possible, keep with the same setup you have, column wiring harnesses can turn into a real monster, not something you want or need to get frustrated with. Are you able to tell if the tilt mechanism parts swap over a period of time, or even with a truck?

9. yawyd

yawyd New Member

Well I called up every wrecker in town and finally located one. 140 bucks but it will have to do. That might solve my hazards not working as well since the switch only allows me to have power to the signals if the hazard switch is pulled out. Push it in, no signals or hazards period. So wish me luck :)

10. TWX

Level 2 Supporter

Good luck.

Last I checked, my older car had two distinct flasher mechanisms, one for turns, one for hazards. Vans may well be that way too. Your van was originally designed before my Cordoba was...

11. yawyd

yawyd New Member

It does have to metal flashers but still the same problem. I can only have turn signals if the flasher knob is pulled out. I FINALLY got around to picking up the column. It all works except for the flashers... Will be swapping them tomorrow. But at least I will have a loaded van again. AC, Cruise and now tilt. :thumbsup: Oh and I just changed the nippondenso starter to a large frame starter I found from my old 77 Monaco I forgot about a month or two ago :lol:

12. yawyd

yawyd New Member

Well I just put the column in and it works great. I also have hazards again. So in short it is driving better then I bought it B)

13. TWX

Level 2 Supporter

I'd hope that you don't have a short! You just got your electricals working again! *grin*

14. yawyd

yawyd New Member

It works real well now :)