Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 B250 wheel upgrade

Discussion in 'Vans' started by vnw, Jun 7, 2016.

1. vnw

vnw Member

I have a 90 Dodge B250 camper van conversion. I am finding that 235/75 -15 tires are becoming hard to get. Has anyone done any upgrading to larger diameter wheels such as 16" in order to switch to a more popular tire size. I would like something that is able to retrofit without changing hubs/axles or using adapters. I would appreciate information from anyone with experience on this. Thanks in advance.........Vic.

2. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Since it seems like the same thing is starting to happen with the 16 inch sizes I am planning to go to a 17 inch wheel. I can't imagine there would be any need for anything other than bolting them on as long as you get the right bolt pattern and go with a similar size tire. There are all kinds of aftermarket wheels and I would think dodge cars, trucks, jeeps and ford's would work if you are looking at getting wheels from the junkyard. But i may be wrong, as I haven't done more than think about it.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

You need to match the bolt circle, hub register diameter and offset.
    1994+ Dodge 1500 pickups are probably a good 16" wheel donor.
    Dodge cars are out - different bolt patter.
    Jeep may work, but the offsets are often different so you'd need to test fit to see if they work.
    Ford sometimes had a different hub register - the wheels are hib centric and this can be an issue..

4. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

All Ram 1500s should have the correct 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern of the 1990 B250, but only those wheels with a larger center hub will clear the similarly large front hubs on the vans.

All wheels used from 1994 to 1997 should fit, and the 16" and 17" wheels with separate hub covers from 1998 through today should fit.

Forgive the poor quality, but these are the OEM Ram 1500 wheels that should fit:

16" Options:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17" Options:

[​IMG]

Devildodge likes this.
  5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Wow, I stand corected. I assumed , and we know what that means, that when they switched from the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern to 5 x 5.5 around 81 that all chrysler vehicles used that. But as I see they used a 3.94, the 4.5 mostly, and even a 4.53. So I guess mopar cars are out as an option. I would say factory option, Jerry showed you them all.
    Thanks for the info.

6. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

FWIW, the 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern is common to many FoMoCo trucks and SUVs as well, but you'd still need to check the fit around the hub.

Also, have you considered changing TIRE sizes? Perhaps that size is becoming hard to find, but 15" is still fairly popular and common.