AF: 90 lebaron no speedometer or odometer | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 lebaron no speedometer or odometer

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by neon98rt, May 6, 2020.

1. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

I got the car out of storage and my speedometer and odometer are not working. NON digital.
    1. i swapped out the whole cluster... nope
    2. I bought an output speed sensor... nope
    3. I tested the wire from the plug end to the harness plug. Nope all good.

What else is there to test or replace. I do believe i have code 15 if i counted the flashes correctly.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Code 15 is loss of speed sensor signal. If you have replaced the cluster and speed sensor, it's likely the wiring somewhere. Are you sure the replacement cluster is any good?

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The speed sensor signal goes to the dark gray connector behind the battery, and from there to the instrument panel circuit board, white wire with orange stripe, to pin 5 of the 14-pin right side connector.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

This still has the plastic speedometer pinion gear in the transaxle? I have seen them wear and lose mesh with the axle shaft drive worm.
    If you remove the adapter from the axle extension housing and give it a 'flick' with you fingers to spin it, have a helper watching the speedometer with the ignition on and see if the needle jumps.
    If it does, then electrically you know you are OK.

5. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

a mouse chewed the wire that goes from the back of the trans over top of it and then next to radiator hose. I wonder why he ate it. The car is old and there was no battery hooked up. I read they like new wires and the buzz when they bite live wires. The sensor i changed is a speed sensor but not the correct speed sensor. lame.

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Bob Lincoln likes this.