Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 Sundance - Hub/Bearing replacement

Discussion in 'EEK!FAQ' started by Aldergrove, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Aldergrove

Aldergrove Active Member

Its been a while since I have replaced front wheel bearings on a Shadow/Sundance. Since this old car sounds like a freight train it was time for new bearings. I ordered a 5 stud pair Hub/bearing assembly for this car.

The 13mm bolts holding the assembly are hard to remove but eventually came off the first side with propane and penetrating oil.

My Gen 2 caravans were easier to remove with the bearing hub assembly just pulling off the knuckle. However, these Sundance / Shadows seem stubbourn to come off.

On the 90 Sundance will the Knuckle have to be removed and taken in to have the assemble pressed out?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There was a special tool to change them on the car, but taking the knuckle off to press them out was the usual way.
    puller.jpg
    images
    If the knuckle is removed to do the bearing, have the front end alignment done afterwards.

3. Aldergrove

Aldergrove Active Member

H have already bought a new Hub/bearing assembly for this 90 Sundance. I was planning on taking the knuckles off to a machine shop. ..seeing that I don't have a press. I have been told its about 1 hour per side to press out the bearings and hub assembly ... and this is just the knuckles that are on the bench.... once the knuckles are done then I'll pick them up and reinstall both sides. He said I could avoid having to re align the front end IF i leave the struts on the knuckles. Doesn't 2 hours seem high?

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Yes it is too high. I don't know their shop policy (minimum charge) and they should go by a flat-rate manual. About 0.3 hrs per side would be fair if you are bringing the assemblies in to them.

5. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

I had that job done at a machine shop, but with just bearing replacement. That does take quite a bit more time because of the bearing retainer plate and the 3 bolts that hold it in. You can't fully remove the bolts until the bearing is pressed part way out. The same goes for re-installing. That is a time consuming process. In my case, the shop insisted that I remove the struts, because it was too awkward to use the press with so much weight to one side. I suppose 2 people would make this easier.

Perhaps he is quoting you a rate for complete bearing replacement instead of the knuckle to hub R & R?

Here is a picture of that type of assembly

[​IMG]